Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Who's deer should this be?

Old 01-25-2010, 04:32 AM
Typical Buck

I would say hunter A for sure.
Old 01-25-2010, 06:39 AM
Typical Buck

this thread is going no where ..good-by ..
Old 01-25-2010, 12:12 PM
Spike

Who is bigger, A or B?
Old 01-25-2010, 01:15 PM
Fork Horn

Hunter A without a doubt..IMO
Old 01-25-2010, 09:01 PM
Giant Nontypical

to me, finishing shot tags it....

when me and my buddies are tracking deer, we make it clear whose claiming it and whose finishing it if its found alive...

think of the same situation but they arent friends and arent tracking together.....a stranger hunting in the same area shoots the deer....it was still alive...he put the final bullet in it...its HIS deer..end of story...

you make a bad shot, expect your deer to be gone....i hunt PA...we have a ton of hunters here...used to be over 1 million 10 years ago...if your deer goes over 100yds you almost have to expect it to get whacked by someone else...even over 50yds you can have other hunters that you arent hunting with close enough to put a final shot in it....(blew the heart out of a doe one year...she went MAYBE 30-40yds tops..death run...honestly running into trees and all that..had another hunter come over when i was gutting and say "oh i was pulling on the trigger when she fell over!") i looked at him like he was nuts...blood pouring out of her...her legs were RED...running into trees the entire way...and he was pulling the trigger.....that made me start breakin shoulders and aiming a bit higher in the lungs to "shock" the spine and drop them...

ive finished off 1 deer for a buddy...we were flintlock hunting and he hit a doe a bit back...we tracked her in the snow and i put him off to the side of the trail while i tracked...i found her bedded but her head was up....i told him to sneak into position and finish her...he missed...i asked if he wanted me to finish her he said ya...after he shot she was jumping and i missed...i was reloaded before he was and he told me to finish her...

i had no problems finishing that deer for him and he claimed the deer...if we would had rifles, or i would have let him finish reloading, he would finished her...wasnt an issue...we just both didnt want her to suffer or go any farther...

but thats something that needs worked out before it happens...

alot of hunters believe in first blood...but reality of it is, they only believe in it when someone is claiming their deer..and reality is that if not finished by someone else, the initial shooter usually doesnt find the deer...

ive learned to anchor them with a hard hitting shot when possible and practical...and learned to keep shootin till it falls if its safe and available...i dont spray and pray...but if i can get another round in a deer, im going to try my best to do so...
Old 01-26-2010, 01:41 PM
Fork Horn

I'm going A as well. In the same situation I would hope whoever I had helping would shoot the deer given the chance and I would hope they would let me tag it. I'd do the same for them.
Old 01-26-2010, 05:20 PM
Nontypical Buck

Nothing more to add.