HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Whitetail Deer Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting-4/)
-   -   What are your goals?? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting/315235-what-your-goals.html)

WNYhunter 01-18-2010 06:51 AM

What are your goals??

At the beginning of each new deer season, what goals do you set forth?

Mine, I am in between a meat and trophy hunter. My wife won't eat it but if she did, I would have a hard time passing a legal deer just for freezer reasons.

So, when season starts, I like to take a big fat doe. Then, I sit back and wait for a buck thatI like. Thats only worked out a couple of times but that is my goal each year.

What are yours?

noidurism 01-18-2010 08:15 AM

i'm in between as well even though i've only been hunting for going on 5yrs. i'm not really a trophy hunter. the only 2 bucks i ever killed were a 5pt. & a 6pt. and the rest have been does. yes my goal is to always try and get a bigger buck than the previous one i'm now starting to let the smaller younger ones walk. if i seen a big rack 6pt. i might take it if i feel that i would be happy with that. if i don't get a buck at all that's ok by me because i'm happy taking a nice doe. this year and passed on lots of smaller 6pt. or less bucks(rack size was same as my first 6pt.) without question or regrets. i blew my chance at a huge bodied 9pt. this year(my fault because i broke one of my rules of hunting like a dumb***)but that's ok because i'm happy with the 3 doe i got this year. i guess what i'm saying is that i don't need to have that trophy - but it sure would be nice!:party0005:

Horacio 01-18-2010 08:35 AM

Originally Posted by WNYhunter (Post 3557327)
At the beginning of each new deer season, what goals do you set forth?

Mine, I am in between a meat and trophy hunter. My wife won't eat it but if she did, I would have a hard time passing a legal deer just for freezer reasons.

So, when season starts, I like to take a big fat doe. Then, I sit back and wait for a buck thatI like. Thats only worked out a couple of times but that is my goal each year.

What are yours?

That's pretty close to how I approach it. I haven't taken a doe in quite a while, though, I supplement my buck meat with hogs when I can....and honestly, we have so many of those damn things running loose that I'd be up to my eyeballs in pork if I shot them all the time.

I have alot of goals concerning infrastructre, set up, scouting, etc. ALOT of stuff to do to get ready for next season that will make my other goals possible.

I wonder how many people track a deer while scouting (or off a trail cam) and make him a goal? I know I did and I only caught a bare glimpse of my quarry one evening(live) but he never gave me a shot.

skb2706 01-18-2010 08:48 AM

My goals are the same every year. Have a great time, take a few friends out get a few deer and spend as much time outside as I can.

“I have come to understand that in hunting, the goal is not the goal but the process.”

elkmtngear 01-18-2010 09:25 AM

I'm concentrating on my kids this year. My 11 year old son has been promised access to some prime land to harvest his first rifle buck, and I'm gonna try real hard to get my 15 year old daughter in bow range of a shooter this year.

My family are venison and elk fanatics...so It's meat hunting for me, and if I get a trophy, that's always a bonus!

Best of Luck,
Jeff

turkey guide 01-18-2010 11:09 AM

My goals as an outfitter are to 1st make sure everyone else on the lease has what they need, 2nd to put them in the best position possible to get a trophy, and 3rd to try and kill enough does to meet my management goals.
Personally if I have any time left and I've killed enough does, I like to take a legal buck. I have passed on bigger bucks in the hopes that others will see and take them.

sniper65 01-18-2010 11:13 AM

my main goal is to recover ever deer i shoot at, not finding a deer you hit is the worst feeling.

warbirdlover 01-18-2010 11:19 AM

My goal is to relax and enjoy the peace and quiet I feel up in my stand. The opportunity (on the land we hunt) for a huge buck is there so I stay alert. I don't like to set a goal on getting a record book buck because now I've turned my hunt into a quest (more like work) and that's not what it's about for me.

Tobe_B 01-18-2010 02:08 PM

When I first started hunting my goal was to shoot a larger buck than the one I shot the year before, now-a-days my only real goal is to shoot a mature deer.

WVCritter 01-18-2010 02:21 PM

My goals are the same as they were last year to kill 3 deer, one each with a bow (either sex), rifle (bucks only gun season) and muzzleloader (either sex) and have a good time doing it.