Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
sharpshooters culling deer - how?? >

sharpshooters culling deer - how??

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

sharpshooters culling deer - how??

Old 01-19-2010, 01:09 PM
Typical Buck

Do some quick research on the Ecologix program conducted last year in Upper Makefield Township, Montgomery County PA. To my knowledge this is the first documented evidence that even in a large scale operation a managed archery hunting program can be more productive than contracted sharpshooters.

The hunts took place in similar habitats, with similar deer densities, and had similar goals (shoot as many deer as possible especially female deer). The managed archery hunting program killed about 410 deer (+/- 5), and all but 7 were female. Gov't sharpshooters killed 200 (+/- 5). Here's what stands out.....managed archery hunting did it for $75,000 and gov't sharpshooters cost $150,000. If you know anything about economics...or even that 1+1=2...then you would probably go with the option that killed twice as many deer for half the money.

(You may be wondering why the managed archery hunting cost so much....keep in mind the key word is managed, and with a such large scale operation, they had to shell out some money to people in organizational roles).
Old 01-19-2010, 01:41 PM
Nontypical Buck

Here in a particular park in WV we do an urban archery hunt. $5 gets you a license to kill any 2 deer you want. The 2 deer do not go against your tag limits for the regular season. They do this almost every year and the population stays fairly regulated

Heck, there are pee wee football games going on in the park at the same time. Very rarely does anyone bother the hunters.

Last edited by DannyD; 01-19-2010 at 01:44 PM.
Old 01-20-2010, 09:52 AM
Nontypical Buck

I know guys in my area that I'm sure have way more experience with shooting deer at night under a spotlight and would shoot deer all night for a few backstraps and couple cases of beer LOL. I promise you there wouldn't be many deer left there either.....