Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Scent-A-Way

Old 01-19-2010, 05:44 AM
Fork Horn

I use it, the body washes (when I can), store clothes in scent tight bags, and play the wind.
I also Scent LoK clothing.

I figure it at least masks my scent.
Old 01-19-2010, 07:51 AM
Nontypical Buck

I simply wash my hunting clothes with baking soda and store my clothes in a rubber-maid container. I try not to have any of my hunting gear exposed to to any unnatural scents like gas, smoke, etc. That's all I do.

I have no use for any other commercial products. To think that a few sprays of scent killer will fool a deer's nose make no sense to me. Some say it's better than nothing and can only help. Man cannot comprehend how well a deer can smell. Wearing scent lock clothing, using scent eliminating spray or any other commercial product only does one thing. It separates the hard earned money from all hunters. Plus, it gives some hunters a false sense of security. Wind is key - always was and always will be.
Old 01-19-2010, 09:26 AM
Fork Horn

I have been known to wash my clothes with Pine Sol. I use scent away if I have been out for several days without a shower, but I ALWAYS play the wind!

Best of Luck,
Jeff
Old 01-19-2010, 11:21 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Home made scent killer -an obligation

The first I ever made, I had an emergency and had to use it to kill the smell some smoke damage caused.

I saved money on that accident. I saved enough that it's a permanent feature of my shelve for hunting and ....emergencies.
Old 01-19-2010, 12:08 PM
Nontypical Buck

I've used it and still do.It works, but I still play the wind.
Old 01-19-2010, 03:33 PM
Nontypical Buck

i use scent-a-way laundry detergent scent-free and dryer sheets that are earth scented. i used to use earth scented field spray but now im using dead down wind. scent-a-way is cheaper but they are all pretty much the same thing.
Old 01-19-2010, 09:42 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by wis_rifle_hunter
i use scent-a-way laundry detergent scent-free and dryer sheets that are earth scented. i used to use earth scented field spray but now im using dead down wind. scent-a-way is cheaper but they are all pretty much the same thing.
I will say it again - in your case you are spending too much money on trying to help fool a deer's nose. Hunt the wind and save your money. I'm waiting to get flamed here. so bring it on.

Underestimating the deer's sense of smell is the biggest mistake a hunter can make. Sure, you can cut down your scent X% by using commercial products but unless you are 100% scent free you're wasting your money because no hunter can be 100% scent free. Do you really think a few scent killer sprays is going to make a defference?
Old 01-19-2010, 09:51 PM
Fork Horn

I think the older we get the more we stink. Think about it. All the young kids get the chances at the big deer.
Old 01-20-2010, 03:11 AM
Dominant Buck

Originally Posted by Jimmy S
Underestimating the deer's sense of smell is the biggest mistake a hunter can make. Sure, you can cut down your scent X% by using commercial products but unless you are 100% scent free you're wasting your money because no hunter can be 100% scent free. Do you really think a few scent killer sprays is going to make a defference?
I'll disagree only that in reducing your scent signature you'll at least cause the deer to underestimate your distance from him. They'll always view human scent as predatory, but they're less likely to bolt if they think the threat is at a manageable distance. Since I started using an ozone generator I've noticed that deer don't spook nearly as much when downwind of me than they used to, and there's no way you can hide all of your scent as you point out. Recently a young buck was about 15 yards downwind of my ground blind. He didn't alarm, just stamped and snorted a bit, then calmly walked away. I fully expected him to begin blowing and bolt, but he didn't. I had bathed in HS bodywash that morning, and was bundled up to my eyeballs in clothing including a cloth facemask that was thoroughly ozonated the night before, and other than spritzing with Deer Dander before going out I took no other precautions. I even drank a thermos of coffee as I sat there. This same buck had already crossed the sinkhole in front of my blind earlier, again downwind, and had showed no sign that it even noticed my prescence. If these had been the only positive encounters I've had since I began using that generator I would just chalk them up to annecdotal accidents or a stupid deer, but I've had the same experience multiple times with deer of both sexes. Since human scent permeates the property I know they're aware of a human prescence, but I'm convinced that it's their perception of the strength of the odor that alarms or calms them. An odor might get their attention, but if they think the odor is old, or weak enough to indicate distance, then they seem to ignore it
Old 01-20-2010, 06:43 AM
Fork Horn

ok jimmy lets use a little common sence on this one. so u think if you cant be 100% just forget about it all? seriously?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.