Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Scent-A-Way

Old 01-18-2010, 05:48 AM
Typical Buck

Everyone is right about the wind, but don't you want to stack the odds in your favor.

I don't use scent-loc suits or garmits. But, I wash my cloths with scent away and dry with scent away dryer sheets. My cloths go right into a bin and out of the house and stay locked in the back of the truck. Then i wash with regular old ivory soap, and put on regular cloths. When i go hunting, I stand outside in my skibbies, and put on my hunting cloths spaying down each layer. I believe it helps.
Old 01-18-2010, 09:23 AM
Fork Horn

I use the spray and laundry detergent.
Old 01-18-2010, 11:14 AM
Fork Horn

My relatives swear by the "earth" scented Scent-a-Way (or similar). They say the deer never know you're there when you smell like dirt. I'm going to try it next season. Nothing to lose.
Old 01-18-2010, 11:48 AM
Spike

yeah i use the autumn stuff.it does smell like dirt.i still try to play the wind though.nothing is going to fully eliminate your scent but for 5 or 6 bucks a bottle i figure why not.i mean it's not making your scent worse,if anything its helping.
Old 01-18-2010, 04:31 PM
Boone & Crockett

Why would spraying your clothes with a spray that smells something like dirt work? I mean, there you are sitting in the outdoors surrounded by millions of tons of dirt and that little spray bottle is going to be a magic cure cover spray?
Old 01-18-2010, 05:36 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by timbercruiser
Why would spraying your clothes with a spray that smells something like dirt work? I mean, there you are sitting in the outdoors surrounded by millions of tons of dirt and that little spray bottle is going to be a magic cure cover spray?
Because you're trying to blend into the surroundings.It's not going to be "a magic cure" but it CAN help especially if you don't have the money to buy scentlock suits or can't get a shower right before you go hunting.Deer are used to dirt,they aren't used to human odor.And I'd rather smell something like dirt then smell like the inside of my truck,what I last touched,or something the deer will think out of the ordinary.
Old 01-18-2010, 05:40 PM
Banned

Best I've ever found is called W-I-N-D
Old 01-18-2010, 06:42 PM
Spike

Default Thanks

Thanks for the input guys. I was just curious as to what my fellow hunters were doing with this product. I too hate to spend so much money on Scent Loc clothing. I do use polyester insulated garments and some X-system silver under my hunting clothes. I use Scent-A-Way shampoo to shower with and their laundry detergent. I then put my clothes in a plastic tub and put the lid on them until needed. When I put my hunting clothes on I spray the inside of my hat and all outer garments with Scent-A-Way as well as my hands and wipe it on my neck and face. I spray my backpack and gloves as well. I do try my best to play the wind as well. Let's face it, it is hard to predict the wind on some stands as it will change on you in a minute and will swirl in different directions. This usually seems to happen when a front is coming or leaving your locale.
Old 01-18-2010, 06:51 PM
Fork Horn

Ive never used scent away, or any kind of cover up spray. and sorry but i dont play the wind game either, maybe id kill more deer if i did? but i kill plenty every year, sometimes from 5 yards sometimes from 100 +, just depends 5 down this year. Maybe im lucky but i say as long as im killing deer im going to stick with my method

oh and i wash my clothes in regular detergent, sorry guys
Old 01-18-2010, 07:02 PM
Banned

Ok, seriously though....

I used to worry all about it until I hunted with my father-in-law to be. He and his gang have a trophy collection like you wouldn't believe.....

After doing everything I could possibly do to control scent, I show up to their house the first day of hunting season. My mother-in-law got up at 4am and cooked a breakfast spread that would shame IHOP, and a table full of fellas eating it. If you could have fried it, and smothered it in onions, it was there....Needless to say we walked out smelling like line cooks. I never really worried about it after that learned all about wind..

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.