HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Whitetail Deer Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting-4/)
-   -   Deer aging by teeth (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting/315161-deer-aging-teeth.html)

romat 01-17-2010 09:02 AM

Deer aging by teeth

I am looking for information concerning CEMENTUM ANNULI, growth ring in deer teeth. Is there any way I can do this at home? The process of aging by wear has proven to be not accurate for me.

glew22 01-17-2010 10:02 AM

Yes, you could do it at home if you have a SEM (scanning electron microscope). I'm assuming you don't have one, so I suggest pulling two incisors and sending them to madson labs in GA. I suggest pulling and sending 2 so that you create a double blind experiment.

uncle matt 01-17-2010 10:47 AM

You have go to be kidding:confused0024:

heinz57 01-17-2010 02:56 PM

remove the incisors from the jaw bone ,saw it in half ,let it dry and use a good magnifing glass to see the rings ..

timbercruiser 01-17-2010 05:45 PM

You would probably need to use a simple ink of some kind to make the rings show up better wouldn't you Heinz?

heinz57 01-18-2010 03:51 AM

Originally Posted by timbercruiser (Post 3557020)
You would probably need to use a simple ink of some kind to make the rings show up better wouldn't you Heinz?

no ink will not work ..after you have cut the tooth in half use a bit of heat to dry out the tooth and the rings will show up better.you have to cut the tooth on the top with a fine hack saw blade [32 teeth per inch] then i use sandpaper to polish the tooth where i made my cut ..

glew22 01-18-2010 04:46 PM

Originally Posted by heinz57 (Post 3556866)
remove the incisors from the jaw bone ,saw it in half ,let it dry and use a good magnifing glass to see the rings ..

How reliable is this? I've been told that even sending them to a lab specializing in cementum annuli will only get you 90%-95% accurate results. Also, I've been told that just the process of removing an incisor from a jawbone can damage some of the growth rings. I just find it hard to believe that the method you outlined can provide truly accurate results consistently. If you're not guaranteed 100% accurate results from a lab with highly specialized equipment and personnel, I question what one could do in the backyard with a saw, some sandpaper, and a magnifying glass.

romat 01-19-2010 07:16 AM

Originally Posted by glew22 (Post 3557729)
How reliable is this? I've been told that even sending them to a lab specializing in cementum annuli will only get you 90%-95% accurate results. Also, I've been told that just the process of removing an incisor from a jawbone can damage some of the growth rings. I just find it hard to believe that the method you outlined can provide truly accurate results consistently. If you're not guaranteed 100% accurate results from a lab with highly specialized equipment and personnel, I question what one could do in the backyard with a saw, some sandpaper, and a magnifying glass.

I am going to try it, won't cost a dime. I used to perform weld depth penetration tests for the Honda Corporation using a saw, (at first sandpaper to 600+ grit) and then a specialized machine, and a mixture of acid and alcohol to bring out detail. I might be able to do this age test. I will repost results.
Thanks all!

heinz57 01-19-2010 10:11 AM

Originally Posted by glew22 (Post 3557729)

you can't damage the growth rings by removing the incisor ,yes they are fragile [the tooth] so remove very carefully. they are very easy to break .. use only the 2 front ones..90%- 95% is better than NOTHING ..

glew22 01-19-2010 12:58 PM

Originally Posted by heinz57 (Post 3558263)
you can't damage the growth rings by removing the incisor

I'm not trying to bust b@ll$, but I have been told by multiple reputable biologists that during the extraction process, growth rings can be removed, and the sample can be compromised.