Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

[Deleted]

Old 06-11-2003, 07:31 PM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 06-11-2003, 09:05 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: What type of lures do you use?

I' ll occasionaly use doe estrous during prerut and
peak rut. When I do it' s always James Valley.
Old 06-13-2003, 11:56 AM
Fork Horn

I have had to much luck without them but like " Two Beards" occasionally I will stick out some doe estrous sometimes it works sometimes it don' t. It' s just all about being in the right place at the right time.
Old 06-13-2003, 10:40 PM
Nontypical Buck

I use Mepps and Bomber A' s, get good bassin done that way[&:]

Seriously, I use Doe in Heat by Code Blue, it' s given me good results, I' ve had deer come sprinting in, not even looking around, just nose in the breeze and haulin on.
Old 06-14-2003, 05:47 AM
Fork Horn

In a research study by biologists in Georgia, during the 1-2 weeks before peak breeding, buck urine actually brought in more deer than doe urine or doe estrous urine. Throughout the hunting season buck urine did almost as well/or as well as doe estrous urine. And a commercial deer lure did almost as well.

The best responses were to tampons that had been wiped on an estrous does' genital area. Now I suppose I will see some crazy out there chasing does. []

Interestingly, on two different study areas, there were fewer responses to most lures and urines during peak breeding. That' s probably because the bucks were busy with the real thing, which suggests that deer lures may not be as effective during peak rut, as before or after peak rut.

This is the type of question I like to see on the T.R.' s Tips Forum, I' d be happy to answer them over there.

T.R.
Old 06-14-2003, 08:24 AM

I haven' t had consistant success with most of the commerical urines both buck and doe in estrous,one bottle may really seem to work and the next 3-4 wouldn' t seem to have any effect or even seem to repel deer.I use a game camera at scrapes and could see some lures had less than desired effects.I had just about given up on commerical scents and was using real tarsals taken from the previous years bucks when I discovered James Valley.This is the first lure I found that doesn' t spook the deer and also can really get a mock scrape going with attention from mature bucks.Its a jell and is a combo of glands,urines,and musk scents that seem to draw responses when others simply don' t get noticed.He sends quite a detailed and involved set of instructions with it and I' ve had better success using this scent than any other so far.Wall Hanger and Full Rut seem to be the most effective ones.

woods
Old 06-14-2003, 10:13 AM
Boone & Crockett

I may be messin up, but the only lure I use is a food plot.
Old 06-14-2003, 11:54 AM
Nontypical Buck

I used a smoke stick last season during the rut and was surprised to see it worked.I' ll try them again next year.
Old 06-15-2003, 05:11 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have used doe-in-estrous scents with varying degrees of success over the years. I' ve killed several with their nose on the cannister. But I had the owner of a hunting/archery store pose an interesting question.

He was an avid hunter, but he wanted to know why a buck would come to a little bit of doe urine at your set-up when their were estrous does all over the place at the time leaving much larger amounts of the real stuff--and steaming fresh. Since I only use this stuff during the rut--so it seems realistic--I now question why too.
Old 06-15-2003, 07:56 AM
Fork Horn

Bucks may respond to commercial deer lures for several easons. 1. If it contains urine it smells like a " new" deer they have never smelled before. 2. If it contains estrogen it may actually be fresh, and the buck responds, even if it isn' t fresh.
3. Commercial lures often contain other ingredients, which may attract bucks.

May God bless us all,

T.R.

Rm. 10:9 " Jesus is Lord"