HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Whitetail Deer Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting-4/)
-   -   Something Terrible Happened (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting/315069-something-terrible-happened.html)

BarnesX.308 01-15-2010 06:02 PM

Something Terrible Happened

Had the meat from my deer and my 7 year olds buck in the dedicated venison freezer. Opened it up today to get some ground for sausage making this weekend and it was all rancid. Freezer was warm. It stunk to high heaven, blood dripping from the racks.

No venison and the season ended on Saturday. Even worse is my little guy has no meat from his first.

What a sick and depressing feeling. :sad:

thndrchiken 01-15-2010 06:05 PM

Bummer, sorry to hear that.

Champlain Islander 01-15-2010 06:07 PM

Wow my heart aches for you. That is something we all worry about. Freezers are just a machine and they all break from time to time. We all hope when it goes south it is empty but that isn't the way it works. Sorry for your loss.

nchawkeye 01-15-2010 06:13 PM

That IS bad news, you have my condolences...

BarnesX.308 01-15-2010 06:14 PM

Thanks. I knew other hunters would understand. It wouldn't have been as bad if it was beef filet mignon and lobster. Next paycheck I would go to the store and replace that stuff. Venison is not replacable. Well, until next year.......

virginiashadow 01-15-2010 06:14 PM

I've had it happen. I felt terrible, but then I took the rancid meat out and threw it in the woods behind my house. That afternoon about 10 buzzards feasted on the meat and it provided me with some feeling that the meat had not gone to waste.

spaniel 01-15-2010 06:19 PM

That is AWFUL.

Knowing nothing about your house or its age, is that freezer plugged into a ground fault protected circuit? While code requires all of them to be, any circuit that is ground-faulted and has either an outdoor outlet or a freezer/refrigerator plugged into it is going to trip all too frequently due to the moisture. When I bought my current house my freezer tripped the ground fault 3 times in a month, fortunately it's right in front of my car so I saw the light off and reset it.

I took the ground fault plug out of the circuit and replaced with a normal one.

iSnipe 01-16-2010 12:18 AM

Sorry to hear the bad news BarnesX.308.

It's happened to me twice, with one of them I lost a trophy buck and cape I was going to have mounted.

A recommendation for all who have freezers for meat, etc, should get a freezer alarm. They tell you if the power goes out or if the temperature reaches to high a temperature and warns you.

iSnipe

Cleburne 01-16-2010 03:29 AM

Hate to hear about that, been there done that.

duckhunter578 01-16-2010 03:33 AM

Man that is some bad news.