Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
Any regrets on letting a deer walk? >

Any regrets on letting a deer walk?

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Any regrets on letting a deer walk?

Old 01-15-2010, 10:10 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Any regrets on letting a deer walk?

This can cause questions especially if that hunter fails to punch his tag. I will admit, many years ago, when I first started letting smaller bucks and does walk early in the season, I had that gut feeling I should have taken that deer and yes, I regretted it. Also, knowing I was hunting in areas with a small deer population (less than 10 deer/sq mile) didn't help. I know hunters that will never let a legal deer walk because we hunt places where you can go days without seeing a deer. I never, ever have a problem with anyone's decision.

Later I felt it was a decision I made and not only accepted it but also was was very happy with the decision. This past year it also happened. I let a doe walk during the last weekend of doe season and never filled my tag. No regrets whatsoever.

It's a special feeling when you walk up to a beautiful deer you just shot. Iit's also a special feeling watching that deer walk away when you know it's life was in your hands.

Your thoughts? Would you let a deer walk if you knew it may be your only opportunity to tag a deer?
Old 01-15-2010, 10:26 AM
Fork Horn

I let 4 does walk this muzzleloader season on 3 different occasions knowing full well I may not get another opportunity. It doesn't bother me at all. I let smaller bucks walk every year waiting for a trophy, sometimes it happens other times not. I just tell myself, better luck next year.
Old 01-15-2010, 10:28 AM
Fork Horn

I have let deer walk before, hoping for others to show up, and then turned up empty handed. I once was out one morning, and probably let 40 go (as well as a couple of gorgeous grey foxes) hoping for a shot on a trophy 10 pointer we had photos of, but he never showed up and it ended up being the last day I got out that season. So that hurt.

But other times I've been out and let them go with no regret. Heck, I went out a couple of days this year and after thinking about it, just simply let them go cause I was too lazy to process them afterward and I'd rather let them live for another day.
Old 01-15-2010, 10:31 AM
Fork Horn

Only if I forgot my camera
Old 01-15-2010, 10:39 AM
Typical Buck

I justify it to myself with the feeling of success. I had that deer in range, dead to rights. I am now successfull this year, I just don't have to tag, gut, drag and cut up meat. When it happens, I always leave the woods happier than when i went in.
Old 01-15-2010, 12:42 PM
Site Buck Guru

No regrets....... none.
Old 01-15-2010, 01:10 PM
Spike

if it was the only deer i had a chance at i would never let it walk, it could be a 40# fawn and it gonna die because i eat meat and thats why i hunt. I live in an area with many deer so i pass some up because i can,but bottom line is if its between a "lesser" deer and eating my tag its bang bang!
Old 01-15-2010, 01:12 PM
Fork Horn

Yes. I let does walk and then when the end of the season hits I wish I would of taken one. Bucks not so much.
Old 01-15-2010, 01:14 PM
Giant Nontypical

Nope, notta!!
Old 01-15-2010, 01:39 PM
Spike

Let two does walk this season 60 yards with a muzzle loader, no meat in the freezer, 3 doe tags left and no regrets. They will be that much bigger next year.

Sir Toby

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.