Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
Antlers on Ebay, your thoughts.... >

Antlers on Ebay, your thoughts....

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Antlers on Ebay, your thoughts....

Old 01-15-2010, 08:51 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Antlers on Ebay, your thoughts....

Lately, I was curious looking up some game cameras and deer stands on ebay and came across people selling harvested deer antlers on there as well. It got me thinking. I looked at many of these antlers and 90% did not have tags on them anywhere and looked to be quite fresh. I could understand someone selling a rack here and there from a garage sale or a road kill, but some people had 8 to 10 racks at a time with no tags seems fishy. True, they could come from a ranch but I feel with no restrictions on antler sales on ebay, but I can't see that many people doing that. Seems like this just encourages poaching. What stops someone from going out, shooting a nice buck and just cutting the rack off and making some money. Seems like ebay should have some sort of regulations on this (ie, tagged antlers or a letter from the game preserve it came from). Just a thought, I hate poachers and anything that would benefit them and seems like ebay may be one of those things. Would like to hear what other people have to say. Thanks
Old 01-15-2010, 08:59 AM
Nontypical Buck

Are you assuming that the tag must remain with the rack in every state in the US ? Its not required here at all.

Sheds will have no tag.

I can donate to you a rack, tag wouldn't match you at all.

Road kill won't have a tag.

Depredation hunts probably won't have a tag.

Last edited by skb2706; 01-15-2010 at 09:06 AM.
Old 01-15-2010, 09:01 AM
Nontypical Buck

I believe PA has laws against the sale of any part of a game animal. Not sure how that works if you buy from another state.

I could never sell any of my antlers. Even a spike rack has special meaning to me and I could never replace it. It is a slice in time that will never come back.
Old 01-15-2010, 09:16 AM
Dominant Buck

Why would anyone want to buy someone else's trophy? Success must be earned, not purchased.
Old 01-15-2010, 09:22 AM
Spike

Originally Posted by kevin1
Why would anyone want to buy someone else's trophy? Success must be earned, not purchased.

Meby they want to make some rattleing antlers or a knife handle and don't want to use a antler from a buck they have harvested???
Old 01-15-2010, 09:42 AM
Nontypical Buck

If you look carefully, you'll see the majority of them were not cut off. I don't know many who want cut-off antlers. Most I see are sheds. Having the cuticle attached gives the antler realism and is also used in crafts.

Seems fishy? LOL! So if a guy and family or friends go out shed hunting and gets several pair after a season's end, he's suppose to have antler soup? Some keep the finds, some make arts and crafts from them, while others may trade or sell them.

Not sure if you thought it all out before your post, but if you think about it, there are many crafts for sale out there that involve antlers... jewelry, belt buckles, key chains, lamps, knives, plaques, etc. Someone out there selling several racks doesn't raise my suspicion... now bear gall bladders are a different matter. LOL!

iSnipe
Old 01-15-2010, 09:46 AM
Nontypical Buck

We Pennsylvania Germans grind the antlers into a powder and make a tea out of it. It's an aphrodysiac
Old 01-15-2010, 09:51 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by kevin1

Who said this had anything to do with a trophy or success. Antlers are used to make all kinds of arts, crafts, furniture, decor, jewelry and costumes. I sell off any antlers I find that I don't want to the guy who processes my game meat. He makes lamps, knife handles and furnishings with them.
Old 01-15-2010, 09:57 AM
Nontypical Buck

I honestly don't see a problem here. Plus, I don't feel poaching plays a big part. Some folks may want to sell antlers to help with their income. I'm not sure, but I don't think there are many states that restricts the sale of antlers.
Old 01-15-2010, 10:29 AM
Fork Horn

As long as the antlers were obtained legally, I guess I don't see an issue with it. I would say that I wouldn't be interested in purchasing them but some people do not have access to private land like I do and as has been mentioned, there are alot of applications such as art and furnishings as well as making a rattling set.

As far as buying them for the purposes of display, as a trophy, it may not be ethical, but people do that and I expect there is a market for it. In fact, I've seen stories on TV about catching poachers who literally take orders and go out and shoot a deer for someone.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.