HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Whitetail Deer Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting-4/)
-   -   bucks still in groups??? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting/314826-bucks-still-groups.html)

seastrike 01-12-2010 03:24 PM

bucks still in groups???

2 Attachment(s)
tooks this pic the other night, of four bucks together. I also had numerous pics the two bigger bucks feeding together, on the same night. Do yall think this means the peak of the rut is still a couple of weeks away. Pics are from south alabama

Wildbill51 01-12-2010 03:41 PM

Yep still a bit away.

Wildbill51

halcon 01-12-2010 03:53 PM

sounds more like your rut has come and gone to me .

seastrike 01-12-2010 04:13 PM

rut definatly has not come and gone. In my experiences around south alabama the best time to hunt is about january 20th, but we commonly see bucks chasing as late as march, especially in areas with skewed ratios.

I am in a new area this year, and I was just suprised to still see these deer together. My ratio is very balanced so i expect alot of competion bettwenn bucks. I have never experienced rut in an area with a balanced herd

timbercruiser 01-12-2010 08:16 PM

From what I have seen and heard, the big bucks are still nocturnal and in groups. The young bucks are feeling frisky, but it will be about the time the Alabama season is going out till it gets good. I wish they would take a couple of weeks off the first of the season and add it to the end of Bama's season. At least Florida will run till the end of Feb with the muzzzy season.

hycohounds 01-13-2010 10:55 AM

we're seeing alot of scrapes but the last 2 weekends we have jump bucks in coveys. they are still ganged up. normally about mlk day they start breaking up around pensacola,fl and evergreen,al

jstinhom 01-13-2010 08:39 PM

Sorry lol,

I think hunting often has different seasons and restrictions from
firearm hunting, and they differ significantly between
countries, states, and provinces.

JoeA 01-14-2010 06:31 PM

I just finished three days of hunting in north Elmore Co., AL. The cold snap kinda shut things down un til late afternoons. Yesterday I saw a bold spike and a heavy 6 with a sticker pt, mix it up over some does. The spike was nosing 2 does and chasing them hard. The six cut him off and ran him into the woods.

Today at 4:15pm, I saw the same spike chasing hard and bellowing and grunting like a big dude. He looked small in the body and not like an old deer with very weak antlers.

My bud dropped a nice wide 8, that was in full on chase mode after a doe. The rut is on in the River Region of AL. Any bachelor groups of bucks should be split up by now or in the next day or two.

Siman08/OH 01-14-2010 06:58 PM

Mine arnt, but that 3rd picture is badass