Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

How big is big enuf

Old 01-11-2010, 06:53 PM
Spike

Default How big is big enuf

[ATTACH][ATTACH][ATTACH][ATTACH]How big is big enuf-photo-0015.jpg[/ATTACH][/ATTACH][/ATTACH][/ATTACH]I have been hunting for 15 years now since the age I was able to legally hunt.I seem to be on a winning streak harvesting trophy blacktail with my bow.My last 10 bucks were all elidgable for the books exept mabe two.Each year I have higher hopes and expectations wanting bigger and bigger bucks.I am not anyone special, and am hunting public lands,and as the years go on my knowledge grows,and the results are better and better.I spent lots of time chasing these bucks and let more bucks walk than most have seen in a lifetime.What does it take to satisfy a trophy hunter.how big is big enuf. Here are some photos of the past few years remember these are true columbian blacktail.
Attached Thumbnails How big is big enuf-2-1-.jpg   How big is big enuf-100_1603-1-.jpg   How big is big enuf-2-2-2-.jpg   How big is big enuf-2-2-.jpg  
Old 01-11-2010, 08:26 PM
Nontypical Buck

How high the bar is raised is based on yourself and your expectations. You mentioned you "spent lots of time chasing these bucks", so it's not too unfamiliar hearing success stories as yours. However, even though, many hunters have put their time in and haven't reached that level of success, so I think some luck has rolled your way. Luck has a way of going either way, but I'm of the opinion the more time you put in, the more luck you make for yourself.

How big is enough is a question ONLY YOU can answer for yourself as we all have our own opinions of what that is... and for someone to tell you how big is enough doesn't seem all that right to me.

I don't have the answer for you, but I've always gotten enjoyment out of teaching others and bringing a huntin' buddy or two along with. I mainly hunt by myself and enjoy the solitude, however it's nice to share the experience with others every now and then.

iSnipe
Old 01-11-2010, 09:50 PM
Giant Nontypical

I'm not sure what the book is.....for B&C, but that's what I want....B&C.

Whatever makes you happy though.

I do want a 200" whitetail.

Bigger the better right? But I'm very happy with B&C.
Old 01-11-2010, 10:24 PM
Spike

My initial goal was to shoot a book buck and before i had my first big buck scored I got one even bigger.from there I have set the bar That i can shoot big bucks and have set out on that mission.The reward to me is even greater than before.I won't just shoot a deer to shoot it i set out and go for the one that will be worth the wait.I have tried to make my hunts harder even taking one with a recurve.now it is the knowledge i gain learning deer that drives me.I am using new techniques and finding new tricks that work for me.I only bow hunt and can't ever get enuf.
Old 01-12-2010, 01:48 PM
Spike

What ever makes you happy is big enough, i have shot smaller bucks that just look sweet to me so they are a great trophy (to me). I tend to shoot nice deer but ot b/c of score just because i like the way they look.

Oh ya, B&C sucks......deer don't have any say on how symmetrical they are so why deduct point for it. SCI is mucho better
Old 01-12-2010, 04:50 PM
Typical Buck

For me, "big enough" is now defined as bigger than one already on my wall. I only have a 2.5 year old 8-pt and a 3.5 year old 8pt on the wall. Nothing huge, but I won't shoot a smaller buck. Both were taken with a rifle

I do take a doe or two for the freezer. This year I shot a doe with my bow opening week and let every other deer (15+) I saw walk. I hope to spend more time in the woods next year.