Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
Physical Fitness and Hunting.... >

Physical Fitness and Hunting....

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Physical Fitness and Hunting....

Old 01-06-2010, 09:53 AM
Nontypical Buck

Living around here, it's pretty important. You can walk several miles a day, and I've had to drag deer over a mile to get back to a vehicle.
Old 01-06-2010, 10:00 AM
Banned

Being fit won't matter when things are going well. Let me explain before I have half the world jumping down my yap....

If you only have a little jaunt to your tree stand or whatever, you could be big as a house and it won't matter much. However, take a tumble during your trek or God forbid fall from your tree stand and your fitness level may be the difference between life and death....or at least a speedy recovery.

There is never a time when fitness should be avoided.
Old 01-06-2010, 11:13 AM
Spike

Physical fitness is a major concern for me for several reasons: first, I am now 51 and approaching the danger zone for heart issues. Second, I have a family history of heart problems. Third, almost all of my hunting is done alone including areas that are out of cell phone range.

Not only do my year round cardio-vascular workouts (mostly walking the dog several miles most days through the hills of Western PA) keep me in shape for the hunting outings, the fact that my regular workout exertions are so much more numerous than my hunting outings make it less probable that any heart attack I may have will take place in one of the remote locations. This helps my peace of mind.
Old 01-06-2010, 11:24 AM
Typical Buck

I don't think that you have to be in absolute top physical condition unless you are hunting in a strenuous and potentially hazardous area/time, like late muzzleloader in the Adirondacks. The snow and the mountains get treacherous. But if you walk up a hil maybe a 1/4 mile and feel like you need to sit down, you're out of shape and need to do more walking or a little running.
BigBuck95
Old 01-06-2010, 11:54 AM
Fork Horn

I think technology and many of the current methods of hunting has made for a lazy, out of shape hunter (myself included). I'm not in terrible shape, but I have about 25 pounds that have crept on over the past few years (I'm 59 years old, by the way). My goal before next hunting season is to lose the excess weight, which I will do!!

As far as using the excuse that a person only walks 1/2 mile (or whatever) to their stand so being in shape isn't important is hogwash.... Just wait until you wound a deer and have to track it 3 or 4 miles through a swamp (or more) and then have to drag it a mile or two on bare ground.....that's where most of the heart attacks happen. It's not walking the 1/2 mile to a stand. Get the adrenaline rushing, the heart pumping, etc. and then grab onto a 200 pound deer and start dragging it and you'll.

The younger guys (and gals) here who are active probably can't relate to this, but the day will come. My son played high school and college football. At one time he had all of the high school's weight lifting records. I've seen him put an elk quarter over his shoulder and hike a half mile up out of a coulee. I've seen him put two mule deer on a game cart and haul it back to the truck without taking a break. That was only 5 or 6 years ago....he's not kept up with staying in shape and today there is no way he could do those things... Time shows no mercy.

I will no longer drag a deer more than a few feet. If I kill a buck that requires work getting it out, I recruit friends to come help. If I can't find anyone, I'll cut the deer in half. I can drag a half a deer at a time fairly easy, but it's still work. I have a game cart I use most of the time, which is a whole lot easier than trying to drag a deer.

I look at some of these "TV Heroes" and I wonder how they haven't already dropped dead from a heart attack.... Looks like the only exercise some of them get is when they push themselves away from the table... Oddly enough (or actually not that oddly), none of the TV Hunting Barbie Dolls weigh 300 pounds... Isn't marketing wonderful?
Old 01-06-2010, 01:03 PM
Nontypical Buck

I don't believe it really helps myself much (besides putting up feeders and stands) but I stay in above average physical condition all year long. I have been working out (bodybuilding/cardio) seriously for 9 years, so it's part of my lifestyle now.

Actually, I'm in worse condition during hunting season because I quit my workout routine to hunt! I also eat whatever I want (all junk food) and usually gain 10-15 lbs every year in just the 4 months LOL
Old 01-06-2010, 01:36 PM
Dominant Buck

I am 61 and in great shape. Most of my hunting in vermont is still hunting and I usually cover several miles each day. Killing a deer back a couple of miles presents a chore that is best done with help but unfortunately almost all my deer are dragged out by me alone. I do have a wheeler but it isn't allowed on the state lands I like to hunt. I just take my time and sooner or later I get back to the truck. I have friends who are my age that don't believe I am wise for hunting the way I do. I have always done it this way and that is why I stay in shape. Before rifle season I go to Colorado and hunt elk. I have shot 4 in 4 years and all of them were packed out on my back with help from my hunting partners. 2 years ago we shot 2 bulls 5 miles back in a wilderness area and had to take them down from 11,500 feet. If you aren't in shape a hunt like that is out of the question. I go slow and steady and the job gets done. Off season in the winter I am out on the ice every day and most of the time I use the wheeler but it is still hard on the body. Summers I stay in shape working on my property, gardening and fishing.
Old 01-06-2010, 02:17 PM
Fork Horn

I'm in terrible shape. I got serious about cycling about 4 years ago and lost 45 lbs. Unfortunately, since then I've gained back 60. I have lots of excuses, some valid (Back pain and shoulder replacement) but most just being lazy. I'm determined during the off-season to lose at least 30 lbs. Just being out walking in the woods doesn't really bother me and I can go pretty far. However, add a climbing tree stand, a rifle, and the rest of the gear I need and I'm about to die! I have a new bike now, and I've also started walking with my wife every day. I need to get the routine started and stick with it. I'm 49 and should really be in better shape than I am.
Old 01-06-2010, 02:22 PM
Nontypical Buck

I could stand to lose 35 pounds, and I absolutely think that being in shape will benefit ANY hunter. Well, maybe if you hunt off your back porch, it's not an issue.

When you have extra fat on your body, you're carrying unnecessary weight. In addition, when you're out of shape, you sweat much more easily. The combination is a recipe for disaster in cold weather. When trekking in, you work up a sweat, even if you are packing your outer layers. And even if you have moisture-wicking underwear (which you SHOULD have), you're still going to get cold much more easily after sitting there for awhile and your body cools down. It could easily mean the difference between a successful and unsuccessful hunt (because you were so cold, you had to move).

Regardless, I really, really want to get in better shape. For my familiy's sake, if nothing else.
Old 01-06-2010, 08:43 PM
Nontypical Buck

Even if you are a hunter that has no required physical work to hunt (box blind, road hunt, etc)...It is still in your best interest to stay in shape that way you can enjoy hunting longer than those who fall out of shape and just can't do it anymore.

Me,... I hunt CA, DIY, Public land in the freakin back, back country...so staying in shape is a must

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.