Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
Physical Fitness and Hunting.... >

Physical Fitness and Hunting....

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Physical Fitness and Hunting....

Old 08-31-2010, 03:45 PM
Fork Horn

I'm 46 & the last couple years I've really noticed when I hunt I'm not nearly in the shape I was years ago. A stupid 15' climb in the treestand had me huffing. Well, this year, the wife had been nagging me to go to the gym with her, so I did, thinking about having to climb & drag a big deer or hog to keep me motivated. I don't kill myself, but I push hard enough for a decent workout, & the results are amazing. I pull my bow back & hold it as long as I want, I can hike up with my climber no sweat & hike a few miles without becoming sore or wore out. Just like the Old Days! I guess I better keep it up, because I'm not getting any younger.
Old 08-31-2010, 04:27 PM
Nontypical Buck

Physical shape is extremely important to the hunting I do as well.
I have fun with it though, it isn't all running and gym. I water-ski, rock climb,play ball hockey, kayak, walk my dogs or mountain bike with them.I get a good physical workout at work as well.Winter and spring I'm normally at the aquatic centre working on the weights or on the pool treadmill a few times a week.My wife is a boot camp instructor and the things I see her do would give me a heart attack,
if I was to do that high impact exercise.
I just do it in moderation.I'm not in a race to be the first to the top of the mountain.I just want to get there and back down safely with energy to spare.So no I don't go to that extent that it has to be high high impact exercise to be successful, but being in shape gives you that extra piece of mind that you can do it so you don't give up before it starts.
Old 08-31-2010, 05:12 PM
Giant Nontypical

I think the problem is we're workaholics here in chicago...
Old 08-31-2010, 09:52 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have to think the being in shape is more important than people think. I'm lucky enough to have a very good workout facility that I belong to in the city and hit the my health club 6 days a week. I don't really work out for hunting, just to stay in good shape. I started working out pretty hard about 7 years ago when I was 25 and starting losing my hair, being 6'7" with a shaved head having some extra muscle on me looked better than 6'7" and skinny, thats for sure.

Since that was way off topic, being in good shape I believe really helps. Best case scenario when hunting is to get to your stand safe, drop a deer in his tracks and get it out easy but when that deer runs 200 yards into the thick stuff its a lot easier and safer to get it out when your in shape than out of shape. My father is getting a little older now and he isn't in the best shape (not bad) but I still have him text me when he gets into his stand every morning/evening to make sure he got there safe. Even if you don't think its good for you to be in shape, It does give some assurance that you got in and out of the woods safe if no one is around.

I think the only problem is when you are in good shape somehow you get volunteered first for dragging deer out of the woods!
Old 08-31-2010, 10:24 PM
Typical Buck

Wow. Now this is an old thread. Saw it and I just had to post something. I think its pretty big. Being a bigger guy of 6'1" and 253lbs I'm actually 30 pounds lighter than I was last year. I've been out and about in the woods and its just easier when walking up and down hills. However I think like all things its just relative to how and where you like to hunt. Personally I've also had the somewhat unfortunate pleasure of being a dialysis patient in past years and fatigue can be a real issue at times. I often move slower than other hunters but I've also been just as successful over the years if not more than other hunters who are in fair superior shape than I. So I think it all really just depends.
Old 09-01-2010, 06:31 AM
Typical Buck

My neighbor and fellow hunt club member is a few years younger and quite a bit heavier than me. We were talking about the use of climbers for a particular area and he siad, "I hate to carry the damn thing in because I get all lathered up. I don't want to sweat before the hunt." I said, "If you were in shape you would get so hot and sweaty."
Old 09-01-2010, 07:06 AM
Nontypical Buck

For most western type hunting it is very important to be in shape.

I was out scouting this weekend and ended up climbing 1,600' elevation in just over a mile. I was off trail and using a GPS to know the distance and elevation gain. I wasn't trying to set any land speed records or anything, but it took me 2 hours!

In contrast last night I jogged 3 miles in 30 minutes. Then I got on the elliptical for 10 minutes while I was still breathing hard from the jog. That felt like a cake walk in comparision.