Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

would you hunt if.........

Old 01-06-2010, 06:42 AM
Nontypical Buck

i would.....but i would not go deep in the woods, i would find something on the edge of a field
Old 01-06-2010, 06:43 AM
Nontypical Buck

Only you can decide if it's worth it for just an hour. If it were me, I'd want to be sure that I'd have a chance of seeing some deer. Like has been said, I'd worry about my job more than getting a deer.
Old 01-06-2010, 06:58 AM
Spike

I find "game time" is about 20 minutes before dark where I hunt. When the sun is setting, shadow is beginning to cover the woods, just before dusk, the deer begin to move. I'd have a go at it.
Old 01-06-2010, 08:01 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Buck Holliday
I find "game time" is about 20 minutes before dark where I hunt. When the sun is setting, shadow is beginning to cover the woods, just before dusk, the deer begin to move. I'd have a go at it.
A lot of people say that, I have seen way more deer during the midday hours while I am up and moving around. The dusk and dawn thing probably does hold true for mature bucks though.
Old 01-06-2010, 08:57 AM
Spike

Default Definately

Yes, go hunt, that is what I call prime time.
Old 01-06-2010, 08:59 AM
Nontypical Buck

My dad hunts the last 1 hour of daylight everyday after work and he kills a few bucks like that every season. I have also killed at least 1 every year doing this with great success on family property. I would suggest have alot of stands to rotate back and forth, and also hide your approach from game that might already be present. We use tower stands and ground blinds that are wide enough that you can hide behind them and the deer feeding on the food plots/feeders can't see you approaching. Also we use quiet walk-in trails and the north Florida terrain keeps us hidden when approaching (very thick).
Old 01-06-2010, 03:44 PM
Nontypical Buck

YUP!!!! Remember, it's about being in the right place at the right time. That NEVER equates to the couch.
Old 01-06-2010, 04:59 PM
Typical Buck

Yes, I hunt at my house a lot and have bagged several deer the last couple years in the last hour. I come home, change, grab my gun and get into the stand.
Old 01-07-2010, 01:55 AM
Fork Horn

You sure wont get any if you are not out there. Timing the deer would be key. Closer or further away from their feeding area. Let's say there is a field of clover and they don't like to get to it until dark, maybe a little after. You need to be far enough down the trail to intersect with them at the time that fits your schedule.

If you have all day on the weekends. It may be pleasing to hunt just down wind of their bedding areas on the way to some oak stands or something. Since deer generally rely on the cover of darkness to make a bigger risk for greater reward, that may be the time to focus on what ever in your hunting area is the most appealing to them.
Old 01-08-2010, 12:46 AM
Dominant Buck

Originally Posted by sniper65
you could only be in the woods for an hour? I have to work till 4 and cant get into my stand till 430, but the problem is it gets dark by 530. I went out the last two days and didn't see any deer, i think it is because im going out to late and scaring them out of the area. my question is an i hurting my chances of seeing deer on the weekend when i can hunt all day by going in the wood late on weekdays?

What are the sunset reg's in your state hunting rules?.........In most states it's at sunset time not
at dark!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.