Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
tree falling over when you in it.. >

tree falling over when you in it..

Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

tree falling over when you in it..

Old 01-06-2010, 02:53 PM
Nontypical Buck

the real question is: If the tree falls when you're not there, did it make any noise?
Old 01-06-2010, 07:18 PM
Nontypical Buck

Once in an icestorm - a Live hemlock next to me just fell down - I quickly got out of the hemlock I was in!

Probably the worst thing that happened to me was I was in a tree on a windy day - and back in the day my stand had no seat ( baker type stand). As I had done many times in the past - I sat myself in the "Y" of the tree where it branched just above my stand. On this windy day - the trees swayed - and the two limbs moved together and absolutely compressed my pelvis! The pain was awful and I was completely STUCK until they moved apart. I was lucky there was no serious damage and never again will I sit in the fork of a major tree!
Old 01-07-2010, 04:16 AM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by halcon
Was never in the tree when it went over , but years ago while deer hunting I got caught in the woods during a wind storm with gusts of wind up to 120 mph . We had to find a clearing and wait it out , then when I got home the roof had blown off my house . Not one of my better days .
It's a good thing you weren't in your treestand on your roof that day!

120 miles an hour sounds more like a level 5 hurricane than a "windstorm"
Old 01-07-2010, 04:22 AM
Typical Buck

Anywhere there are "thin soils" (soils in areas that are ledgy or rocky, or heavily stratified by clay, sandy soils etc.) can be dangerous places. Keep off of trees on hillsides in these areas and on windy days, or days just following high wind or ice damaged conditions. These situations will typically loosen up the root ball on many trees and come down soon afterward, especially already weakened trees.

This often causes the condition referred to as "summer drop" where perfectly healthy looking trees just fall over on a beautiful calm summer or fall day.
Old 01-07-2010, 06:31 AM
Typical Buck

Default trees falling

NN,

I've never had a tree fall while I was in it, but several years back I went to my lock on stand and a tree had fallen over and across my stand. That stand was destroyed, don't even want to think what the outcome would have been had it happened while I was in the stand.

A similar thing happened 2 years ago. I had put up a blind to turkey hunt out of. When I went to the blind the next morning, a tree limb about 4 inches in diameter had fallen thru the top of the blind and it was standing up in my chair. Had I been in that chair I'm sure I would have been seriously hurt.

Now days when I put up a deer stand or blind, I always do it in the daylight and look around for dead trees or hanging limbs.

dog1