Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
tree falling over when you in it.. >

tree falling over when you in it..

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

tree falling over when you in it..

Old 01-05-2010, 03:04 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have a feeling that you won't find too many folks who have actually experienced such a thing, because I would surmise that most of those who have been in a tree stand when the tree fell did not live to tell the tale. The few times I've been in a tree stand, I always made sure I picked a sturdy and healthy tree that's rooted in solid ground.

Mike
Old 01-05-2010, 03:13 PM
Giant Nontypical

I have actually thought about this. Just another one of those MANY things (some silly) that we think about while on stand I guess. I do believe it would be one of those things that you'll only experience once! One time a few years ago, I watched a BIG dead oak fall right across the trail I was walking down.
Old 01-05-2010, 03:17 PM
Fork Horn

About 2 years ago, my buddy asked me to go and pick up his treestand, it had been in a yellow pine for about a year. I took my quad up to where it was, and I kept walking around saying "I know that stand was right here someplace"! Then, I looked on the ground, and found his stand, smashed underneath that pine. I guess treestands are not like cats, they just don't land correctly when the tree falls.
Old 01-05-2010, 03:35 PM
Fork Horn

I've thought about this many times, especially in the last couple of years. I normally choose my tree based on location, with little regard to the actual size of the tree, and who really knows how sturdy those roots are, anyway. In the last couple years I've come down on days when I can feel significant tree movement.

Ain't it funny how we feel more and more mortal with each passing year?

Just another reason to get saved.
Old 01-05-2010, 04:14 PM
Fork Horn

I walked to my stand one after noon and my tree was blown over. My ladder stand was still strapped to it and facing up toward the sky. Glad I was not in my stand the night before hahah
Old 01-05-2010, 04:19 PM
Boone & Crockett

not yet - but before light one morning I hooked up my climber and went up a nice sized tree. Waiting there as dawn approached. And as it got light I looked up and the tree I was in was very dead.
I GENTLY got my stuff together and lowered my stand. That could have been disasterous.
Old 01-05-2010, 05:11 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by zmschillin
I walked to my stand one after noon and my tree was blown over. My ladder stand was still strapped to it and facing up toward the sky. Glad I was not in my stand the night before hahah

same thing happened to a buddy of mine. except his didnt land facing up. the ladder was bent in half and the shooting rail and platform were driven into the ground. he was in it the night before, so id say he lucked out for sure. a good rule of thumb is to make sure u put ur stand in a LIVING tree, guess he forgot that part when he put his stand up LOL.
Old 01-05-2010, 08:50 PM
Nontypical Buck

Exclamation

I have seen several trees blown over while being in the woods. Luckily none of them have been real close and near me enough to cause damage. LOL!

I have cut the front face or notch on a tree to fall, but it leaned the exact opposite the direction it was to fall, then did a slight back cut... and waited for the wind to do it's work. Yep!... the wind pushed the tree over in the opposite direction of the lean.

Weirdest story I heard was a guy was sitting on his front porch in the country. As he was sitting there, it was absolutely quiet and not a hint of wind. All of a sudden a large tree right in front of him started to fall on it's own! After some investigating, ants were eating away at the trunk which also had rotting roots!

iSnipe
Old 01-06-2010, 03:25 AM
Fork Horn

If you weren't there when the tree fell, did it make any noise???
Old 01-06-2010, 02:28 PM
Fork Horn

well i was sitting on the ridge looking down on a swampish type of thing
and i looked off to my right and watched about 5 trees fall about 450 yards away
and i sat there staring at that for 20 minutes
i came back to camp and everyone else was dumbstruck about it too we owned the land in about a 100 acre circle from where i was

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.