Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
Are depredation permits hypocritical??? >

Are depredation permits hypocritical???

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Are depredation permits hypocritical???

Old 01-05-2010, 08:08 AM
Typical Buck

Default Are depredation permits hypocritical???

Just curious as to the opinions. In Indiana deer season, you can't bait, spotlight, have limited firearm that can be used etc etc when harvesting a deer. However, it is my understanding that the use of depredation permits (after the season is over) allows you to bait, spotlight deer, use any weapons you desire. All of these things were illegal from October 1 to January 3, but are legal now. According to my uncle in Ohio, they have very similar rules (or lack there of) for depredation permit hunting. Is a state hypocritical in having a deer season with rules only to have an unofficial deer season (no bad limits, No One Buck Rule) that is basically a free for all if you are able to have access to depredation permits??

I have access to ground for next year. However the owner has acquired 10 depredation permits (will be issued more in lots of 10 when the 1st 10 are filled). Part of the access for next year is fill the depredation permit now. I have no problem with that. I am just wondering why I can now legally be what would be considered a poacher 3 days ago.

I see a good for the goose good for the gander situation. If hunting rules are good for the hunting season then they should be good for the depredation season or vice versa. Yet in Indiana they are not. I find that hypocritical.
Old 01-05-2010, 08:43 AM
Nontypical Buck

As the year progresses obviously the deer hunting season and management objectives change. You would have also been poaching by hunting on Sept. 29th.
Old 01-05-2010, 09:18 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by skb2706
As the year progresses obviously the deer hunting season and management objectives change. You would have also been poaching by hunting on Sept. 29th.
Exactly. The objective is no longer hunting. The goal there is to get rid of many deer as possible because they are deemed a problem. There's a reason the license is being issued, and I'd imagine they're not very easy to come by, though I could be wrong.

I have participated in a deer population control hunt the past two years in a state park. They close the entire park down and open it to hunters (who have to go through a lottery to hunt). Even though they tell us to kill as many as possible, we still cannot bait, etc, etc. Now I PERSONALLY don't agree with those methods during regular hunting, but when the stated purpose is to kill as many as possible, I feel like the park management should have ALREADY set up bait/food a week or two prior to the hunt in order to meet the objective, which is to kill 200 does. They NEVER come close to meeting it.
Old 01-05-2010, 09:27 AM
Typical Buck

What kills me about these permits are when they are issued to landowners that allow no hunting on their property!!!!! Let folks that have no place to hunt a chance to kill some of those deer. IMO if you are to qualify for a depradation/slaughter permit you should have to be on some kind of list that shows that you are also trying to rid the deer during the normal hunting seasons. There was a farm that bordered an area i use to hunt that was posted up tight as a drum. We tried many times to get permission to hunt there but were always told there was ABSOLUTELY NO HUNTING on the farm. But all summer they would crack every deer they saw and throw them in holes. Someone tell me the logic in this??!!
Old 01-05-2010, 09:44 AM
Typical Buck

You assume that the states goal from October thru Christmas is purley hunting. It is not it is revenue enhancement and depredation on a large unspecified scale. The state wants the deer killed, they don't care that you can "hunt". The state never has your interest in mind.

So again is the state hypocritical in saying that only slug guns are used for hunting season (unspecified depredation) but that you can use your AR in a .308 or a .50BMG during the specfied depredation hunts.?? Yes.
Old 01-05-2010, 09:57 AM
Nontypical Buck

We tried many times to get permission to hunt there but were always told there was ABSOLUTELY NO HUNTING on the farm. But all summer they would crack every deer they saw and throw them in holes. Someone tell me the logic in this??!!
The logic is to protect the rights of the property owner. I don't want any goverment telling us who or if we have to allow on the property. I also would bet most farmers shooting deer on permits are also hunting the land - they may tell all who ask no to keep it simple.

If they are shooting ever deer they see with the nuisance permits, they are breaking the law if they take any antlered deer. They also need to report every deer shot.
Old 01-05-2010, 10:17 AM
Typical Buck

I also would bet most farmers shooting deer on permits are also hunting the land
You would lose that bet in the scenario i was talking about.
If they are shooting ever deer they see with the nuisance permits, they are breaking the law if they take any antlered deer. They also need to report every deer shot.
Around here most landowners have someone else carry out the killing of the deer. They dont give a damn how many deer that guy kills!!! He wants every one of them dead!!!! Guys that have had those permits before(myself included) will tell you the landowner/farmer usually will tell you to shoot as many as you can. I can tell you for a fact that the majority of guys that carry out those permits around these parts dont report every deer they kill on those permits. One other thing thats for sure...the landowner doesnt give a damn they kill more than they are supposed to. They get thrown in a hole somewhere and thats the end of it.
Old 01-05-2010, 10:30 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by teedub31
You assume that the states goal from October thru Christmas is purley hunting. It is not it is revenue enhancement and depredation on a large unspecified scale. The state wants the deer killed, they don't care that you can "hunt". The state never has your interest in mind.

So again is the state hypocritical in saying that only slug guns are used for hunting season (unspecified depredation) but that you can use your AR in a .308 or a .50BMG during the specfied depredation hunts.?? Yes.
Agreed on both points. I should rephrase and say that it's what they would tell you..their stated goal.

Needing a "license" to hunt, IMO, is ridiculous...a THINLY veiled revenue collection scheme.
Old 01-05-2010, 11:23 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by rh160kid
You would lose that bet in the scenario i was talking about.Around here most landowners have someone else carry out the killing of the deer. They dont give a damn how many deer that guy kills!!! He wants every one of them dead!!!! Guys that have had those permits before(myself included) will tell you the landowner/farmer usually will tell you to shoot as many as you can. I can tell you for a fact that the majority of guys that carry out those permits around these parts dont report every deer they kill on those permits. One other thing thats for sure...the landowner doesnt give a damn they kill more than they are supposed to. They get thrown in a hole somewhere and thats the end of it.
It is different around here. I know at least a dozen farms that get permits. Every one of them is also hunted, but just not enough deer can be shot during the regular seasons to control the numbers. Lots of big fields with small patches of woods and cover so only a few can effectively hunt and once you start, they get smart fast.

If the farms are taking deer not allowed or in excess of the permits given, they need to be reported. Again around me, the Encons issuing the permits take their use and misuse seriously. If yours don't, report higher up the chain.
Old 01-05-2010, 12:25 PM
Boone & Crockett

I don't know how many hunters who are trying to get access to posted private land would want to hunt it if they were limited to shooting does, and multiple does at that. So, while it would make some sense for landowners to allow hunters access if they have problems with depredation, I don't know how successful it would be in actually reducing numbers compared to the landowner going out in the offseason and killing 10 or 12 deer.

As others have said, I see no hypocracy here. When animals cross the line from game animal to pest, then the ordinary rules get suspended.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.