Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

how close did you get

Old 01-04-2010, 08:02 PM
Fork Horn

Default how close did you get

i was tired of hunting an hour and 1/2 away and i saw some deer in an old corn field that was gov property well the back of the corn field was like 175 to 225 off the road and at the back was like 15 yards thick of woods and i saw deer here before and the only porblem was there was a fire station across the street and a air field behind the fire station so i parked my truck in a parking lot down the street and walked with my self climber over to where i saw these deer and to get there you have to pass this wierd patch of trees that are real tall but everything on the ground was dead

so i go hang this stand up on a twig no lie i dont know if this is going to hold me i am 6,5 300lbs and this was small well i told my dad about and he was like you are going to get in truble and i was thinking about that on my walk out i was walking down this fince line and was thinking well what if i am seen by a fire fighter and he ask what i am doing so i was just trying to get out of the place and got to the begging of the trees and i sware i walked the same path in and out well on my way in to the trees i took a step and a doe almost nocked me down and took off halling ass out of there when i got home i had to change my pants

so how close did you get
Old 01-04-2010, 08:19 PM
Nontypical Buck

so you went hunting on government property that you were not supposed to be on?
Old 01-05-2010, 04:44 AM
Nontypical Buck

LOL you are just asking for the hammer to fall! I have a feeling that trespassing on gov't property with a long gun is a recipe for disaster. Not that I think you did or horrible thing or anything like that. It's just kinda funny.

Not sure what you question is...are you asking what's the closest we've ever been to a deer not down? For me, it was a scary 3-pointer I shot last season (my first buck). I was in a buckshot-only area, so when I shot him the first time, he didn't go down. The buck charged right at me with this crazy look in the eye on the same side as his single horn. I freaked out and shot him again just as he was feet away from me and, at that, he veered slightly to my left, just passing by me and collapsing about 25 yards away. He came so close that I could have reached out my arm and touched him. I didn't think bucks ever charged humans or any other animal, but I have no doubt that's what that crazy dude had on his mind!!

I told my hunting buddy about it while I was gutting the buck, and I later found out he didn't believe me. When we went back to my hunting spot to get my stuff, he noticed a trail of blood on the ground right next to my therma-seat. That's when he told me that he thought I was full of it...'till he saw the evidence!!
Old 01-05-2010, 05:53 AM
Super Moderator

I saw one deer, a buck.
And it came out, behind me, to my right.
I had no time to turn, and fire.
As soon as I saw him, he spotted me.
He blew, and it was Game Over.
But what a rush, he was only about 15, to 20 yards away.
I only went about 3 or 4 times, because of a torn rotator cup, in my right sholder.
I will try again next year.
Now theres turkey hunting, I just hope to get my sholder fixed in time to shoot my shotgun.
Old 01-05-2010, 06:35 AM
Typical Buck

so like, dude, like, how close, dude, like...gosh this was a tough read
Old 01-05-2010, 11:12 AM
Typical Buck

about a foot.
BigBuck95
Old 01-05-2010, 12:43 PM
Nontypical Buck

Red face Ten Feet

Saturday was my last day to hunt this season so I stayed close to my truck and picked a spot not more than 400 yards up the road from where I parked. I had hunted this spot before because it has many cut throughs where the Deer move. 45 minutes after geting situated I heard some noise behind me at the rear of the thicket I was tucked into. It was about 10 feet deep or less so thick of a patch you can barely see the other side. The wind was good for me out to my front but not behind me from which this Buck came up on me. He sented me and busted that thicket wide open trying to put distance between me and himself. I must admit it spooked me to but I held everything in but I wonder if he did?
Old 01-05-2010, 06:26 PM
Fork Horn

yeah i was bow hunting so i would of just waited till night to drag him out
Old 01-06-2010, 05:01 AM
Spike

Do us all a favor and learn how to use a period or two. PLEASE!
Old 01-06-2010, 05:11 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by bowfly
so like, dude, like, how close, dude, like...gosh this was a tough read
LMAO!

I was bowhunting about 10 years ago, after a fresh light rain, and I saw a doe about 100 yards up feeding with her head in the brush. I was wearing moccassins, and I actually was able to walk up behind her and touch her tail. I just wanted to see if I could do it. She practically turned inside out getting outta there!

Best of luck,
Jeff

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.