Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

to gut or not to gut

Old 01-04-2010, 05:55 AM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by early in
Right where it drops! I can't see dragging all of that extra weight out of the woods. I hunt about a half mile from my truck. The gut pile doesn't bother the deer, not to mention that they get eaten within 24 hours by fox and buzzards.
Gut it where it drops. Also I agree, does'nt mess up your stand. I have had bucks come in and smell the gut pile only to just mosey on their way. Never bothered them at all.
Old 01-04-2010, 12:44 PM
Nontypical Buck

Shoot, recover, gut, drag.
Old 01-04-2010, 12:58 PM
Nontypical Buck

If it climbed in the stand with me i would gut it there.In otherwards right where it lays.
Old 01-04-2010, 01:27 PM
Nontypical Buck

I don't gut mine. I hang my deer and skin it as soon as I can after killing it. I will cut just enough of the guts to get at the tenderloins. After I cut the backstraps out and get the front quarters, I saw the back at the hip and the carcass falls to the ground with guts inside. I never have to touch the guts. The two hind quarters are now hanging, and I saw them in two and put in the ice chest. I can do this whole process in about 20 to 25 minutes. I also wear surgical gloves when I clean deer. It keeps my hands nice and clean.
Old 01-04-2010, 01:32 PM
Fork Horn

i don't gut at all. hang it, cut the backstraps out, debone the hams, cut out the tender loin and shoulders and drop whats left on the ground to haul off......tony
Old 01-04-2010, 01:43 PM
Spike

Gut it after I get it to camp. The extra weight is not a big deal since I typically can drive my fourwheeler right to the deer.
Old 01-04-2010, 02:19 PM
Nontypical Buck

I maintain that nearly all of the time, it is a REGIONAL thing...

Nearly everyone north of the Mason Dixon lines guts them where they drop, or fairly close...

Many hunters in the south take them back home, to a camp, or to a processor for the gutting..

Hunting methods have a bearing on this.. In the more southern states, much hunting is done from established stands over agricultural areas where it is easy to drive up and throw an intact carcass into the truck, and take it somewhere to be processed..

Up north, we usually have to drag the critter off the top of a mountainous ridge, or out of a God forsaken hollow, and often getting a vehicle to it is not an option..In that case, lighter is better.. Why drag the guts..??..
Old 01-04-2010, 02:20 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have never had a gut pile ruin a stand. My uncle shot a 10 pt in MN this yr. He gutted it right there and I shot a nice 8pt 2 days later right by the gut pile. I don't think they can put the two together.
Old 01-04-2010, 04:29 PM
Nontypical Buck

Gut it where it drops.

Better for the meat and makes it an easier drag. Especially a 200lb + lb buck in the big woods.

For those who bring the guts home, what do you do with them? Throw them in the trash?

Plus, gutting in the field and you can drain all the blood there instead of at your home.

And the guts don't bother other deer. We shot 4 deer out of the same stand in a 3 day period once. All the gut piles were there. I watched a spike sniffing my buddy's gut pile from the day before this year.

Last edited by BarnesX.308; 01-04-2010 at 04:31 PM.
Old 01-04-2010, 05:15 PM
Spike

I don't gut either, I skin it quarter, back straps, and even tenderloins without touching the guts, and take all the meat off~~~ the ribs and guts are all thats left, then we designate a spot on the lease we don't hunt for a gut pile and listen to the yotes get fired up!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.