Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
Whats d stupidest thing u dun while deer huntin? >

Whats d stupidest thing u dun while deer huntin?

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Whats d stupidest thing u dun while deer huntin?

Old 01-07-2010, 12:16 PM
Fork Horn

After sitting in my tree stand all morning looking at a cedar tree in front of me blocking three of my would be shots. I got ticked off and climbed down out of my tree with my saw, then proceeded to climb up the cedar and trim some lanes. In mid saw I heard a crack and the next thing i remember, I'm laying flat on my back trying to get my breath back. Apparently the cedar didn't like me cutting on it so it decided to top its self with me in it. I think i fell about 10 or 12 feet. Couple bruises, but other than that i was ok. Could have easily went the other way.
Old 01-07-2010, 12:36 PM
Fork Horn

Seems like it's always opening day when the "call of nature" becomes an emergency situation with me. I guess my body is so damn happy to finally be out hunting again that it "purges itself". I can't count the number of times I've cut off the tops of my socks with my hunting knife (I just can't ever seem to keep tp in my butt pack).

I thought my buddy was going to die laughing when I came back to camp wearing a half tee shirt one time (I didn't even have to say a word, he knew what happened)!

One opening morning, I yelled "stop the truck", and bailed down a shale bank, took care of business, and reached for the nearest leaves I could find. It was completely dark, and it turns out they must have been the largest poison oak leaves in existence!

One other opening morning, same thing happens, I am wearing a full camo suit, and I got the sleeve. I tried to clean it the best I could, and sprayed the heck out of it with cover scent, and crawled into my stand.

About 4 hours later, I hear something approaching the stand through the dry leaves. I was hunting over a really torn up velvet rub, so I was thinking "this is it, it's going down"! Wrong again! Black bear with it's nose up in the air, walking right to me. Walks right up to the stand, looks at me, gives a "woof" (like I don't know what you are, but you smell like ****), and runs off.

I wish it all wasn't true, but it is!

Best of Luck
Jeff
Old 01-07-2010, 01:53 PM
Spike

the night before opening day we went out for my father inlaws bithday it was the first time that i have ever eaten cajun food, well the next day im 20 feet up in a tree thinking to my self how things just dont get much better than this, thats when nature first knocked... to make a long story short 20 min. later im standing in the middle of the public hunting area butt naked staring at my now really gross (and brand new) under armor wondering how this possibly could have happened to me, as im doing this a buck and 2 does come down the trail maybe 25 yards away. i went from being willing to risk this happening just for a few more minutes on stand to being so utterly demoralized that i just let the deer walk away... the lesson to be learned here is when nature calls answer it because sooner or later it will kick the door in.
Old 01-07-2010, 10:18 PM
Giant Nontypical

I learned a long time ago that when you are 20 feet up a pine tree in your climber, time management is of up most importance when nature calls. You can calculate the time it takes to let your rifle down. You can figure the time it takes to get down the tree, and slide your safety rope connected to your harness down with you. You should have already given thought to the exact location of where your want to leave your deposit. You can do all of that, but if you don't factor in the time it takes to get the hooks on your overalls undone, all of the effort is for not.

C. Davis
Old 01-08-2010, 06:14 AM
Dominant Buck

Talking

"Don't leave home without it."
Old 01-08-2010, 07:59 AM
Fork Horn

I have another one.....

When I hunt, I carry a sidearm as well because we have LOTS of feral hogs round here. At the time of this event, I had an old school S&W .38 revolver that had belonged to my grandpa. It had some sentimental value and it pissed me off when it was stolen when my house was robbed in Sept 08.

Anyhow, I was sitting in my blind and not seeing any deer one evening but late I could hear a commotion in the brush meaing that there was a large herd of hogs about to roll in. Sure enough, I guess about 8-10 of them in all shapes, sizes and colors.

So, I picked a smaller one out (smaller = better eatin!) and leveled off the 7Mag and touched one off. Solid hit but she still ran off a ways. The hogs scattered and I picked up a big fat sow running back behind the clearing and I let fly again on the run, unsure if I had hit her or not.

So...I let them lay for a few min and then went to investigate and fun ensued. For whatever reason, I left the pistol in the blind. I lfet my iron sight .30-30 lever action in the blind. I slung the 7 Mag and walked out there. Hmmm, there's blood, over this way, ah! There she is!......what's that?!?....Apparently, the hogs were not as shocked and afraid of seeing one of their number drilled with a 7Mag as one would expect and here they came again. I was standing with a little scrub mesquite between me and a rather large sow who apparently did not see me. I looked down the barrel and missed point blank and that time they scattered for good but my heart was racing.

I recovered my hog as it got dark and headed for the truck, back to camp to change my shorts (not really but it was a bit of a harrowing experience....having a herd of hogs bearing down on you like that)

Next morning, I went back to my blind and didn't see much. As it got lighter, I kept seeing a dark shape a good 200-250 yards out. Then it hit me....oh no. I had drilled that second hog right behind the ear and dropped her. In the excitement and confusion, I forgot about her. (youthful stupidity as well, I guess). At least it was cold the night before. I had already shot a few hogs that season so I ended up giving the hog away...I guess it was okay /shrug.

Anyhow...now I carry a .45 ACP just in case.
Old 01-08-2010, 09:31 PM
Fork Horn

I was up in my box blind when "nature called" and not the pee version. I had this all previously planned out and brought very large sealable plastic bags for this occasion. Unfortunately my knowledge of the human anatomy was not as good as I thought and I had the bag about 2" too far forward. The "loaf" dropped right on the floor of my blind. Luckily it landed in a big pile of sawdust (left over from recent blind updates) completely coating it which allowed me to get it in the plastic bag without any mess. If that pile of sawdust hadn't been there I think my blind would have scared every buck within a mile away since it would have now smelled like an outdoor toilet.

I'm still trying to find a solution to this problem for next year.
Old 01-08-2010, 10:00 PM
Nontypical Buck

I could write a book on the stupid things I've done. Hell, I still do them every year. I just call it learning. Like forgetting the safety is off or the hammer on the muzzle loader is still fully ****ed in being caught up in the excitement. I am a pretty well seasoned hunter but still do stupid stuff like cutting myself on my broad heads. I keep doing stupid stuff and before long I've done them all. There fore I get better.

Bobby
Old 01-09-2010, 05:21 AM
Spike

Originally Posted by llpaintball
Shot my muzzleloader today and somehow the scope busted my forehead open.. Dont know why I didnt have it tight against my shoulder

Last 2 years in a row, first shot of the year (zeroing) thumped me as well. Didnt cut me, but damn sure hurt......lol
Old 01-11-2010, 08:18 AM
Nontypical Buck

Red face Unprepared

Forgot to take a pee bottle with me after climbing up the tree. Of course I had to go shortly after geting settled in for the morning. At my age it is wise to carry at least two due to the plumbing being dated.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.