Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
Whats d stupidest thing u dun while deer huntin? >

Whats d stupidest thing u dun while deer huntin?

Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Whats d stupidest thing u dun while deer huntin?

Old 01-04-2010, 09:49 AM
Dominant Buck

Talking

I once foolishly drank a twelve pack of Buttwipers(as I like to call them) the night before a hunt, I recalled the next day why I call them that. Several times...
Old 01-04-2010, 10:19 AM
Fork Horn

This one is bad.....

I hadn't gotten a shot at a buck for a couple seasons. The land owners of our lease put their horses in my pasture and they pretty much screwed me all season long. No matter where I went, they came running for my truck and followed me around looking for carrots or whatever.

So my cousin wasn't into hunting much and allowed me to hunt hers. A little 8 pt showed up and I lined up a shot, took him down. Went and got the truck, gutted the buck and tossed him up on the tail gate.

My truck was full of junk, tools, equipment, all kinds of stuff and I couldn't get him in with the tail gate closed. I get up to the main ranch road, hit a bump and of he goes. Dammit. I went back, picked him up and tossed him back into the truck. (the truck, btw was pretty high off the ground. I used to drive an F250 4X4 diesel)

So, I pull into camp and start backing up under the 'hanging tree' where everyone hangs their game to butcher and/or wash before taking them into town to the storage locker. The tree is on the back side of a big cistern that leaks and there was a mudhole there. I backed in a little and started to slide. I braked and unbeknownst to me, the buck fell out again. I straightened out and backed up again....right over the buck.

So...in case I wasn't sure...he really was dead after that.....and dirty. I finally got him up in the tree and washed him down but I felt like a fool.
Old 01-04-2010, 12:19 PM
Nontypical Buck

Oh come on Matt...who are the BS'ers?
Old 01-04-2010, 04:16 PM
Typical Buck

I hadn't done anything too dumb until this past season. I hunt near my house a lot and was on the stand one evening just before dark. I shot a 6 pointer that ran across a small creek and dropped on the other side. I climbed down from the stand and walked to the deer. I leaned my gun up against a tree, drop my pack and grab my drag strap. I hook up the deer, throw on my pack and head to the house. Can you see what I didn't do now? I left my rifle leaned up against the tree. Might not have been so bad except we had an rain/sleet/ice storm that night. I realized the next morning that my gun was still in the woods. It had water and ice on it. I immediately tore it down, cleaned it and oiled it generously. It doesn't seem to be any worse for wear.

This would not have happened if I was hunting other land. I would have figured out I didn't have my gun when I went to put my gun case up in the truck.

One more thing, I drove the nearly 3 hours on Friday evening to hunt with my father-in-law the next day (earlier this season). I checked my gun case when I got there and didn't have any ammo. I made a quick run to a local outdoors store and got a box.

Wow, both of these happened this year; am I going senile in my early forties?
Old 01-04-2010, 04:40 PM
Spike

I think I can top these. I had been hunting all day when the biggest buck I had ever saw in the woods came trotting toward me at about 50 yards. When I pulled the scope on him I realized that the lens had fell out of my scope! Since I didn't have an open site on my muzzleloader I just had to sit and watch my dream buck walk away in the sunset. To be it all, my neighbor found the lens in the middle of road where I hunt! Needless to say that scope has long been trashed!
Old 01-04-2010, 04:53 PM
Fork Horn

I had sex in my stand with my girlfriend and ended up killing a buck like 2 hours later. .. .. . All I can say is I was Young and Stupid...... But I am all grown up now.
Old 01-04-2010, 05:34 PM
Nontypical Buck

Ahhhhhh, so it was you I saw......lol
Old 01-04-2010, 05:45 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by PABUCKTRACKER
I had sex in my stand with my girlfriend and ended up killing a buck like 2 hours later. .. .. . All I can say is I was Young and Stupid...... But I am all grown up now.
hahaha I wouldnt say that was dumb.. just got lucky twice that day
Old 01-04-2010, 07:18 PM
Fork Horn

I've done a couple of stupid things. While sighting in my gun I guess I didn't have the gun tight up to my shoulder and the recoil sent the scope between my eye brows and now I have a scar there. I also hunted out of a tripod for 2 hours and when I got down to unload my gun I realized I had never loaded it. Thankfully I didn't see a deer that night.
Old 01-05-2010, 06:02 AM
Typical Buck

I always clean my rifle before opening morning every year, well a few years ago I cleaned it rather late and just set it in the case with the bolt out of the gun (It's a remington 700) well I woke up late and left the camp and threw the rifle in the truck and took off for the gate. When I got back in the truck I realized I had left the bolt sittin in the case back at camp. I was a little late gettin to the stand that day.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.