Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Deer antler shed traps?

Old 12-31-2009, 03:04 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have tried a couple of these methods and not had any luck.
Old 12-31-2009, 04:29 PM
Fork Horn

I've used them for 2 years now. No luck so far, but I did find one about 10 yards away, but I don't know if the trap had anything to do with it or not.

The first 3 pictures is my setup from last year. I usually start baiting them around the first of Feb. This setup is rigid enough to knock the antlers loose if they are ready to drop, but flexible enough that the buck can extract himself from the trap if they aren't ready to fall.

Here are so other ideas that I have ran across.

Good Luck
Old 01-03-2010, 09:55 AM
Fork Horn

Posted this a couple of years ago.. just adding to the bunch.
http://www.huntingnet.com/forum/1379716-post4.html
Later Phil B.
Old 01-03-2010, 11:43 AM
Nontypical Buck

If you can get it, get some of that plastic net wrapping for round bales of hay and hang it low where they have to get their antlers in it to eat the bait. Around here occasionally deer are seen with that stuff tangled up in their antlers.
Old 01-03-2010, 02:19 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by isatarak
If you can get it, get some of that plastic net wrapping for round bales of hay and hang it low where they have to get their antlers in it to eat the bait. Around here occasionally deer are seen with that stuff tangled up in their antlers.
Wouldn't that be a reason not to use it?
Old 01-13-2010, 06:21 AM
Spike

I'm just getting into shed hunting, i finished reading "Shed Hunting" by Joe Shed (thought that was kind of funny) any ways i was doing a little online research and came across this product. Looks like it could be pretty affective.
http://www.racktrap.com/
Old 01-13-2010, 03:20 PM
Spike

At that price you could make three if you know what you're doing or just gather up your buddys have a party and yall go lookin for them
Old 01-13-2010, 08:06 PM
Spike

I have a plastic 55 gal berrel that i cut an oval out of the middle big enough for a deer to stick its head into for some cracked corn i hang from a tree limb high enough so only deer can get to the feed ive dont this for 3 years and have found sheds laying on the ground just below the opening
as for time of year i havnt seen a deer packing any bone for at least a week so now is a good time to try it i live in s.w.pa and the harsh weather we have had is the trigger for antlers to drop in less severe years march is by far the best time to find sheds
Old 01-14-2010, 08:59 AM
Fork Horn

My brother in law saw three bucks this morning in upstate NY still with headgear.
Old 01-14-2010, 09:21 AM
Fork Horn

Did you ever see a deer that was tangled in a fence? I have and it's not pretty. Not every deer will be ready to shed at the same time. How do you know you won't "trap" one who's not ready to shed yet. I think that is not a very good idea.