Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Luck

Old 12-30-2009, 10:43 AM
Fork Horn

Default Luck

Im starting to think that hunting has a lot to do with luck. Monday I went hunting with my buddy and he was in a stand about half a mile from me. He saw about 15 doe and 2 small bucks, I didnt see a thing. So the next day he said I could sit in his stand because I havent filled my tag yet. I sat in his and he sat in mine, and it turns out he sees a bunch of deer again, no decent bucks though, and I get skunked. You gotta be kiddin me haha
Old 12-30-2009, 11:09 AM
Typical Buck

story of my life right there!!! lol. Seems like it happens like that every time.
Old 12-30-2009, 11:13 AM
Nontypical Buck

I don't think one has been a hunter very long if they claim luck has no factor in hunting, because you hunt enough, you'll realize it does play a factor! Good or bad. LOL!

Ever get to where you are almost at your treestand and see a shooter deer right near it already? Had you been there earlier, most likely you would have had a shot!

How about when you call it quits and get out of your stand, only to have the shooter come right when you are still descending the tree?!! Had you stayed a few minutes longer, you possibly could have had your tag filled right then and there!

There are many stories out there like that. While studying your quarry, scouting him, being persistent and putting your time in via hard work, are the major factors to your success, every now and then when luck rolls your way, I don't know many hunters who will pass on it. LOL!

Good luck!

iSnipe
Old 12-30-2009, 11:17 AM
Fork Horn

thanks ISnipe, I have been hunting for awhile and ive always known luck is against me when it comes to hunting but yesterday it finally sunk in haha. Stuff like that happens to me all the time.
Old 12-30-2009, 11:27 AM
Nontypical Buck

I figure I've seen at least 9 shooter deer in my life time of hunting come when I was either descending or about to descend my tree! I recall on several occasions already lowering my pack and bow to the ground when the one I want is coming up the trail. LOL!

The lesson learned? Stay in my stand longer! It already helped me twice this year.

iSnipe
Old 12-30-2009, 12:59 PM
Fork Horn

I have both good and bad luck as everyone has. This is a story of bad luck that I have that happened to a good friend of mine.

We were mule deer hunting outside of Caprock Canyon State Park in the Texas Panhandle where there are some monster mulies. Anyway, my buddy was headed back out to hunt after we had met at camp for lunch. He was driving accross the Red River which is a very wide sandy nasty river at times and he spots a Monster mulie on the top of the plateau on the other side of the river. Anyway, he stops in the sandy bottom of the river to get his binoc's on it and realizes that its a giant. He decides that he will just drive up to the bottom of the plateau and try to get within shooting range. As he attempts to get going he gets stuck in the sand and burries his jeep to the axil. He grabs his rifle and starts running accross the river to get to cover. He said he made it to the edge of the river and to the cover of the salt cedars to stop and try to spot the buck again. He finally spots the giant again and its moving west along the rim of the plateau. He stays in the cover of the salt cedars and starts his stalk on the buck. After an hour or so of stalking and trying to get in shooting distance he hears a shot come from his left, about 300 or 400 yards away. He pulls up his binoc's again and cant spot the buck. He knows 1 of 2 things just happened, the deer just got shot or it went over the rim and he cant see it. As he makes his way to the base of the plateau he hears the a pick up coming up the road. It was the rancher who had been feeding the cattle. My buddy waves at the rancher and heads up the plateau to find "his" buck. The rancher honks at my buddy and yells out the window "did you see that buck I just shot?". My buddy yells back and says, "did you hit him?". The rancher gets out of his truck and says "he11 yes I hit him, he dropped where he was standing.". They made it to the buck together and found a 32" 18 point non typical buck. My buddy was sick.
Old 12-30-2009, 01:21 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default The more skill and time in the woods

the more good luck you have; and the more bad luck you have.

That's why they call it hunting.
Old 12-30-2009, 01:50 PM
Nontypical Buck

Hunting is mostly luck and some knowledge/skill
Old 12-30-2009, 01:57 PM
Fork Horn

I'm somehow reminded of the old song from Hee-Haw that starts "Gloom, despair, and agony on me!"
Old 12-30-2009, 04:59 PM
Fork Horn

dang that sucks for your friend dk

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.