Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
Rack size = successful hunter? >

Rack size = successful hunter?

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Rack size = successful hunter?

Old 12-29-2009, 04:12 AM
Fork Horn

Default Rack size = successful hunter?

I read in another post that hunters use rack size as determining success for hunters, specially competitive hunters. I am a competitive hunter but I dont see what rack size has to do with anything. Just because Joe Snuffy lives in Iowa and his grand daddy owns 1000 acres of prime whitetail hunting ground and the average buck size walking the property are 160"+ and the population of deer is astronomical and he tags one, does that make him a more successful hunter than me when I hunt the open fields of the Texas Panhandle where the biggest buck within miles and miles is a 120" and I happen to tag a 100" buck?
Old 12-29-2009, 04:31 AM
Fork Horn

IMHO, a sucessful hunter is one who makes a clean kill and recovers the animal. All the planning and/or scouting in the world is meaningless unless you can do that. I equate rack size to bowling trophies - you can have a bunch of them and they really only mean something to you (and give you something to brag about).
Old 12-29-2009, 05:09 AM
Nontypical Buck

Stop measuring your self worth against others in all aspects of life, not just hunting, and you'll be a much more confident and happier person.

I've seen road hunters busted with 170-class deer. Does that make them "successful hunters?"

There is a lot more to hunting than rack size. I've shot a couple does after long, hard and technically challenging stalks. I take pride in that a lot more than some of the bucks I've lucked upon.
Old 12-29-2009, 05:20 AM
Nontypical Buck

Happy/Satisfied Hunter = Suffessful Hunter. I went hunting last week and had one of the best hunts I ever have but never touched the trigger. Mouth grunter an eight pointer into 35 yards saw a few does and get excited a few times. That was a very successful hunt in my book.
Old 12-29-2009, 05:25 AM
Dominant Buck

Originally Posted by dustyr
IMHO, a sucessful hunter is one who makes a clean kill and recovers the animal. All the planning and/or scouting in the world is meaningless unless you can do that. I equate rack size to bowling trophies - you can have a bunch of them and they really only mean something to you (and give you something to brag about).
10-4, Good Buddy!
Old 12-29-2009, 05:26 AM
Nontypical Buck

Some people have it easier than others to hunt certain game. My family owns alot of land that hold good numbers of whitetail where theres no pressure. Of course its easier for me than someone who has no land and is forced to hunt heavily pressured public land in the same region. It doesn't matter about how much you shoot or how big it is. If you do your homework and bag your quarry from your knowledge and hardwork, then its a successful hunt brother.
Old 12-29-2009, 05:41 AM
Nontypical Buck

Hunter and competitive are 2 words that should never be used together.
Old 12-29-2009, 05:43 AM
Nontypical Buck

A freezer full of meat and some good memories is a big part of what make me feel successful at the end of a season, but i wont lie, i also want to shoot a buck w/ a big rack too.
Old 12-29-2009, 05:46 AM
Nontypical Buck

In todays obsession with big bucks, a successful hunter is often, and unfortunately, determined by the rack of the kill.

Me myself, I feel that I am successful if I just see a deer. No trigger has to be pulled to be successful.
Old 12-29-2009, 06:20 AM
Giant Nontypical

The only person I measure myself against is myself...
I don't care what anybody else thinks about what I decide to kill.
I think alot of it is geographic. Sure there are some places in the country where there are more and bigger deer.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.