Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

HELP ME.....please

Old 12-29-2009, 03:52 AM
Fork Horn

Default HELP ME.....please

Santa Claus brought me a new doe decoy which is really kewl. My problem is that I don't have ANY experience in using decoys.

How is the best way to take full advantage of this great gift?
Old 12-29-2009, 09:12 AM
Fork Horn

Hoosier. I have not used them either, but plan on using them as well. From what I have read so far about these is that when using a doe (to attract a buck) it is usually used during the rut. Place the doe broadside to yourself and make sure the decoy is not facing you, otherwise other approaching deer will look to see that the decoy is so intentively looking at.

A buck will approach the doe from the rear to smell her. That is why you place her broad-side so the buck will be broadside. And make sure you place your stand downwind of the decoy.

As far as placement you will have to wait for other people with more experience to comment. The one thing I know is that they have to be in a visible area that other deer can actually see the deer. Some use it to get deer to cross a field to come near their stand, but big bucks are usually not hanging out in fields during the day. I would say put in a clearing inside the bush along a trail such as a primary scrape area, or staging area.

P.S. I have also read not to leave the doe unattended overnight as deer will be pissed the decoy is not moving and will tear it apart.
Old 12-29-2009, 05:54 PM
Fork Horn

Leave it at home for a lawn decoration. One less thing to drag into the woods.