Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
Is my deer trail messed up from major blood? >

Is my deer trail messed up from major blood?

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Is my deer trail messed up from major blood?

Old 12-28-2009, 03:33 PM
Spike

Default Is my deer trail messed up from major blood?

Well after two weeks of not getting a shot at any bucks I decided to go ahead and take another doe for the freezer. It was a very clean shot right though the heart only 40 yards from my stand. The best way to get the doe out was to go up a man made trail that intersects with the deer trail four times in 100 yards. I drug the doe up the man made trail and left a major trail of blood the whole way. Ever since I did this nothing at all is showing up on my camera that is in the trail. I am wondering if this was a bad idea to drag the deer that route. How long will the blood be obvious to other deer, if it is at all. I havent been hunting since that day but plan to go back in the same area (my property) this coming weekend. I probably should of drug the deer with the exit wound upward instead of downward like I did. It was really rather amusing because the doe's heart actually was falling out of the exit wound when I got to the truck.

Last edited by motorpig262; 12-28-2009 at 03:36 PM.
Old 12-28-2009, 03:40 PM
Fork Horn

No, now go get another one!
Old 12-28-2009, 04:23 PM
Typical Buck

[quote=motorpig262;3541227]Well after two weeks of not getting a shot at any bucks I decided to go ahead and take another doe for the freezer. It was a very clean shot right though the heart only 40 yards from my stand. The best way to get the doe out was to go up a man made trail that intersects with the deer trail four times in 100 yards. I drug the doe up the man made trail and left a major trail of blood the whole way. Ever since I did this nothing at all is showing up on my camera that is in the trail. I am wondering if this was a bad idea to drag the deer that route. How long will the blood be obvious to other deer, if it is at all. I havent been hunting since that day but plan to go back in the same area (my property) this coming weekend. I probably should of drug the deer with the exit wound upward instead of downward like I did. It was really rather amusing because the doe's heart actually was falling out of the exit wound when I got to the truck.[/quote]

Where did you field dress it, in your backyard?
Old 12-28-2009, 05:21 PM
Fork Horn

I have had deer walk right down the path I drug the deer out on the very night or next day...so in my experience, I dont think it screwed up much.
Old 12-28-2009, 05:23 PM
Giant Nontypical

Get back in there! It ain't gonna bother the deer!
Old 12-28-2009, 05:34 PM
Nontypical Buck

Your scent might mess things up for a bit, but that clears. The deer blood won't make a difference. A couple of weeks ago, I had to head back into the woods to retrieve an item I'd left after gutting a doe several days before. The area where I gutted was full of new deer tracks. It didn't seem to to affect the traffic, and it looked like a few might have even investigated and sniffed around.
Old 12-28-2009, 05:40 PM
Nontypical Buck

no problem, i killed a buck, he bled all the way up the hill, then i dragged him back down the same trail the other way all the way to the truck, the next mornin there were deer tracks in the blood smears.
Old 12-28-2009, 09:05 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have killed deer and they would bleed out in one spot and later I would see where the deer had pawed at that spot and dug the ground up. Like they were curious about the smell. I don't think it bothers them.
Old 12-28-2009, 09:36 PM
Nontypical Buck

Your own scent would ruin it before the blood of a deer. I've shot deer from a stand and watch it go off and drop and continue my hunt and then another deer comes in after a while at times, and some of these were some nice size bucks and sometimes it happens so quick, I didn't even get a chance to reload the muzzle loader.
It won't bother a damn thing so get out there or you'll wish you did.

Bobby
Old 12-29-2009, 03:09 AM
Fork Horn

I shot a doe, drug it out & less than 30 minutes later had pics of two more does on my trail cam not 20 yards away.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.