Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
How do you change your game up on windy days (20 mph sustained winds throughout day) >

How do you change your game up on windy days (20 mph sustained winds throughout day)

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

How do you change your game up on windy days (20 mph sustained winds throughout day)

Old 12-29-2009, 07:13 AM
Nontypical Buck

Yes, deer do move in the wind, hence people's increased success still hunting them during these times. Thinking back to the times I've been successful still hunting, ie, walking along slow trying to spot them before they spot me, those times had 3 things in common:

1.) It was snowing, hence the movement of the snow along with the softness of the ground I'm walking on, helped me get closer and disguised my movement both in sound and sight.

2.) It was raining lightly or just rained. This too softens the ground and helps me stay quiet.

3.) It was windy. 3 things about the wind: It moves everything around you and helps disguise your movement. It helps you know which direction your scent is going so that you know which direction to best still hunt towards. The added sounds of the woods, due to the wind, covers much of the noise you're making as you sneak along.

Another thing about the wind is that it gives me more confidence and keeps me in the woods longer. I've had such good success before, that I keep rethinking those times and it helps me stay alert when I'm putting on the sneak.

Walk little, watch much.

iSnipe
Old 12-29-2009, 07:23 AM
Spike

I got my deer last year on a day with 20-30 mph winds when it was around 30 degrees. I almost didn't go out because of the wind. I just didn't feel like sitting in it that day. I went out at first light. About an hour later 8-10 does moved through the area, and I picked the biggest one and dropped her.

I've also noticed that the wind will often concentrate their movement. On days when it's been fairly windy, it usually seems to calm somewhat right at dusk. The deer are anxious to move having bedded down most of the day. That last half hour of light when the wind usually calms down is probably the best half hour of the day. They seem to start coming out into the fields to feed. I got a good 8 point buck this year under those circumstances.

Anyway, don't let the wind keep you inside. The most important thing is to just be out there in position to take advantage of opportunities.
Old 12-29-2009, 11:08 AM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by HuntingKS
On days when it's been fairly windy, it usually seems to calm somewhat right at dusk. The deer are anxious to move having bedded down most of the day. That last half hour of light when the wind usually calms down is probably the best half hour of the day.
I couldn't agree more! Funny though, the wind is the exact reason I'm sitting here typing this. Here in SE Pa we're getting sustained winds at 20-30mph with gusts of up to 45mph. It's also only 24F! WTF I'll be out there tomorrow evening though.
Old 12-30-2009, 06:00 AM
Nontypical Buck

Thanks for the assortment of advice!! I really appreciate it. I related yesterday's experience in this thread: http://huntingnet.com/forum/deer-hun...ml#post3542591