Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Stolen Stands-How to proceed

Old 12-28-2009, 12:46 PM
Nontypical Buck

Unfortunatly this is a regular occurance on Long Island.Most of us have gone to climbing stands.
It's funny,I'm going to Tenn. this weekend to check out property. I guess you got thiefs all over!!!
Old 12-28-2009, 01:16 PM
Boone & Crockett

I wouldn't go with the spikes/nails as a deterrent. The thief can play that game also, and those dang things stay there for years, usually getting innocent people that have nothing to do with your problem. Go to a machine shop and get some hardened steel 3/8ths chain and some large locks. Chain the stands under the stand and behind the tree. Even with 3 foot bolt cutters it is almost impossible to cut that kind of chain on the ground and in a tree it would be impossible.
Old 12-29-2009, 05:28 AM
Spike

Well, I appreciate all the input. I know some of my initial desire was fueled primarily from anger. I called the land owner last night and talk to him about it. We decided that spiking the road was probably not smart. Don't want to hurt any of the critters (other than the legal ones that walk in front of high powered rifles). And didn't want to incur any kind of liability in case someone walking their dog happen to take that four wheel drive road - even though they aren't supposed to.

He's got a number of farm hands around that are going to keep their ears open and maybe do a little asking around to see if this 'kid' is still out trying to enforce his domain. They are also going to keep their eyes open ofr traffic on this little used road.

Additionally, I'm probably going to try to find an inexpensive web cam that I can hide part way down that trail and see if I can pick up any action - and hopefully a license number. Obviously going to need something with quick reaction time and good clarity.

I will probably also put up a sign that the road is spiked (without actually spiking it). Let's play some mind games.

I stopped at Dick's Sporting Good last night and they had basic 15 foot ladder stands on sale for $59.99 so I bought two.

Can you LoJack a tree stand? (Hum, what would I use for a power source?)

Keep the ideas coming! Hopefully others can use some of them to address their own situation closer to home!
Old 12-29-2009, 07:31 AM
Nontypical Buck

I suggest that you don't play or even suggest the dirty tricks games empty threat or not. No one will win. IMO suggesting it is a good as doing it. One day you will find your tires flat.

All you can do is keep your eyes open, chain your stands, and get a camera.
Old 12-29-2009, 01:03 PM
Giant Nontypical

Bobby traps IMO are a huge no-no and a lawsuit waiting to happen.

I feel your pain and been in that same boat a few times - luckily and knock on wood - years ago.

You might want to drop by the nearby kids house and speak with the parents starting with just asking if maybe they saw anyone, any vehicles, etc. over by your hunting area........because you had some ladder stands stolen at such and such a time.

Who knows? The parents might put 2 and 2 together and realize that little Jimmy came into a stand or 2 about that time and maybe said he bought it from so and so, etc... In my experience most parents will be all over their kids if they think they have went to thieving ways.

It's just a shot but you never know. A friend of mine got a climber back by talking to a guy at church who realized his kid suddenly had a climber right around the time my bud lost his - and guess who's it was???
Old 12-29-2009, 02:36 PM
Fork Horn

go out there in full camo like you were gonna bow hunt and just sit there and wait after you put up a new stand
a good sting situation
maybe get a couple of people to do that too
Old 12-29-2009, 05:02 PM
Nontypical Buck

Hide one of these in the stand somewhere?

http://www.brickhousesecurity.com/co...ng-device.html
Old 12-29-2009, 05:25 PM
Spike

You could always paint the stand hot pink. Who the hell wants to sit in a hot pink stand? Of course, the problem with that is the deer would probably be too embarrassed to show too.
Old 12-29-2009, 05:30 PM
Fork Horn

Now that is cool.

One of the post reminded me of my sons bike being stolen. He had left it in the front yard and then it was gone. Will my wife didnt tell me till I got home about it and then I saw that a delivery I was waiting on had show up and that is when my son said the bike was gone. so I called the trucking company and told them that I got the delivery man on my security camera and if the bike was not return I would press charges and sue them. The man assure me that this gentlemen had been with the company for 15 years and was not that kind of person. Well the next morning the bike was in the ditch beside the house. Whata know seems kinda funny.

That GPS looks like a realy cool way the stick it some one.
Old 12-29-2009, 06:11 PM
Fork Horn

I used to work with a guy who knew someone who ran a place called The Spy Store. I don't know if it's still around, but they had all kinds of surveillance and tracking gizmos. I think a tracker would be great if you could put it where it would be unlikely to be found.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.