Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
A stupid question is the one not asked, right? >

A stupid question is the one not asked, right?

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

A stupid question is the one not asked, right?

Old 12-27-2009, 02:29 PM
Spike

Default A stupid question is the one not asked, right?

Ok, so, yes, my son and I are noobies, but, I gotta ask this question. This afternoon, we went to retrieve my climbing stand that I left last night on a piece of our property that we hadn't really scouted before. After looking around, we realized we were in some serious deer, buck area. Lots of droppings, lots of rubs in some really thick stuff. We found two trees that looked the same in the middle of several rubs. My question is, do bucks ever get up on their hind legs and scrape a tree? Look at these pics! What you don't see is that just above the scraped area is bark untouched, i checked, this tree is still alive. What caused this??
Attached Thumbnails A stupid question is the one not asked, right?-img00540.jpg   A stupid question is the one not asked, right?-img00541.jpg  
Old 12-27-2009, 02:37 PM
Typical Buck

I don't think bucks do that. It would be very unusual to see a buck do that.
Old 12-27-2009, 02:45 PM
Fork Horn

Ditto. I've seen rubs hip-high, but not higher than that. I HAVE seen bucks get on their hind legs to grab tree branches when making or servicing a scrape.

Keep that kid involved!
Old 12-27-2009, 03:15 PM
Typical Buck

Do you have any moose there, or bear?
Old 12-27-2009, 03:17 PM
Fork Horn

The tree died and the bark is shedding off naturally! That's all. Hunt by the tracks, they'll probably come by before dark....
Old 12-27-2009, 03:31 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by Big Buck Dave
The tree died and the bark is shedding off naturally! That's all. Hunt by the tracks, they'll probably come by before dark....
that was kindof my thought, maybe it was last years rub, then the tree died, and the bark started coming off going up the tree. It really looks weird, with bark attached at the bottom and the top.
Old 12-27-2009, 03:39 PM
Nontypical Buck

one looks like natural de-barking..but the one that looks like a corn stalk looks like a good rub...i have seen deer basically layin the tree over to get in between the crevices, and when they are done the lil tree will pop back up, not braking. and looking like a big buck, but was actually a 4 point. lol we had good fun with that one.
Old 12-27-2009, 03:57 PM
Nontypical Buck

That's not a rub or bear scrape. Looks like the tree died and now the bark is shedding. When looking at scrapes on trees, regardless of what did it, you should see little vertical indentations in the tree from whatever is doing it, ie, antlers or claws. I've seen several bear rubs on trees, but they are not so long, usually in just one area of the tree.

Never ever hesitate to ask a question. I ask questions all the time... even when I know I have a strong grasp on what's being asked about. That way I "just" may get an answer that broadens my understanding. Many men with egos don't like to ask questions. Let the ego go and the mind will expand!

Good luck and it's great to see you are taking your son out there too. He'll be thankful for that for many years, you introducing him to the deer woods!

iSnipe
Old 12-27-2009, 04:03 PM
Spike

were are you in East TN the only thing that could do that here is ELK I need to see a better pic. Pic looks like tree is dying and the bark is pealing off cant see no dig marks in the tree from these pics
Old 12-27-2009, 04:09 PM
Nontypical Buck

Lightbulb

Originally Posted by nytransplant
...the only thing that could do that here is ELK
If you look at the 2nd picture, you can see another tree behind it. I'm not sure how far apart they may be, but seems they are close enough that if something big, like an elk, did that, I would think he would push the smaller front tree back towards the tree in back, thus getting some rub activity on it as well.

Didn't check to see where the OP(Original Poster) was located and if there are elk there.

iSnipe

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.