Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
What is the range of a shotgun for deer? >

What is the range of a shotgun for deer?

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

What is the range of a shotgun for deer?

Old 12-28-2009, 08:29 AM
Fork Horn

If you are looking to bird hunt also, it's hard to beat the 870 combo with bird barrel and a cantilever rifled slug barrel. Mine shoots dead on at 100 yds. It would likely do fine to 150, but I'm limited by my red dot sight. I'd go farther with a 1.5-4.5 or 3-9 scope.

For a dedicated slug gun, I'd go with an H&R Ultra Slug Hunter. If I were starting over, I'd get one of those and a separate bird gun.

Once you choose the gun, you'll have to try several different slugs to see which your gun likes the best.
Old 12-28-2009, 03:33 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by bigcountry
Very irresponsible. I would bet anyone they can't hit the vitals of a deer "target" with 00 at 100 yards consistently 4 out of 5 times. Anyone want to take me up on it, let me know. I got the 100yards.
Anytime any day, But we have to put up some $$ LOL
Done it more than once and deer being chased by dogs.
Old 12-28-2009, 05:46 PM
Dominant Buck

Originally Posted by iSnipe
Wow, that's out there.

What brand and model is this shotgun?

And the right slugs? What brand are they? Any particular bullet configuration?

iSnipe
Snipe, I have a 200 yard range here on my place and shoot a BRN A-5 with a Hastings Full Rifled Barrel with rifle sights.........I shoot Winchester BRI's and can bust 4" flood lamps at 150 yards with them......
Old 12-28-2009, 07:31 PM
bigcountry

Originally Posted by Kosherboy
Anytime any day, But we have to put up some $$ LOL
Done it more than once and deer being chased by dogs.

Sure, I can take you up on that. You ever come up north or always stay in Fl? I got the cash to back it, don't worry. And I know you do. Hey if you can pull it off 4 shots out of 5, I will humbly appoligize. But I have patterned too many shotguns not to know better.

5 bills wouldn't break you nor I and sure would make it interesting. But the one deal is we have to video it for our fellow HNI'ers

Old 12-29-2009, 03:45 AM
Nontypical Buck

These days with sabot slugs costing what they do, to me it makes a lot of sense to consider what your hunting situation really requires. If you will be shooting longer shots (75 yards and beyond), then go with a fully rifled barrel and a scope, and shoot the sabots that give you the best accuracy. If you can live with shooting 75 yards and under, I'd be happy with a smoothbore barrel with rifled sights (or even a scope) and shooting the rifled slugs that work best from your gun.

I have a Mossberg 500 combo. The smoothbore barrel with rifled sights will shoot easy 2" groups at 50 yds, and I'd shoot at deer out to 75-80 yds no problem. Beyond that range my eyes and the sights become the limiting factor. Rifled slugs do a number on deer.
Old 12-29-2009, 10:16 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by bigcountry
Sure, I can take you up on that. You ever come up north or always stay in Fl? I got the cash to back it, don't worry. And I know you do. Hey if you can pull it off 4 shots out of 5, I will humbly appoligize. But I have patterned too many shotguns not to know better.

5 bills wouldn't break you nor I and sure would make it interesting. But the one deal is we have to video it for our fellow HNI'ers
I was thinking more like 5,000 that would pay for my trip ,LOL
Old 12-29-2009, 10:34 AM
bigcountry

Originally Posted by Kosherboy
I was thinking more like 5,000 that would pay for my trip ,LOL
Your a high roller no doubt. Wife would cut my nads off if I risked 50 bills of family funds on this. I realize 5 large is nothing for a roller like yourself. But I am fairly tempted. As I don't think you could do it consistently. Decisions, decisions. On one hand, probably sinnful as all get out for two believers to try to drain each other. On the other hand, it would be good HNI fun for all.

Before the choice is made, let me understand.

Let me get this right, if I put 5 large into escrow (of your choice) and you do the same of course, you would fly up to BWI, I would pick you up and it would be on?

Terms would be you have to put at least 2 pellets of 00 buckshot 3" mag (no more than 16 pellets) from 12ga of choice into the vitals of a std deer target (well have to figure that one out). This shot is made at 300 lasered feet. Vitals will consist of heart, lungs, and I will even throw in the liver. This can be freehand, or off of a tripod or leaning against a tree. You would need to pull this off 4 out of 5 shots. You only get 5 shots. 5 full size deer targets. Each target replaced after the each shot. And 4 would need to have at least 2 pellet thru said vitals.

Last edited by bigcountry; 12-29-2009 at 10:44 AM.

Old 12-29-2009, 12:47 PM
Giant Nontypical

I tend to avoid getting into his sort of stuff because it always seems to turn ugly. But I will say of course that you will get accuracy at MUCH longer distances with a rifled barrel over a smooth bore. 2X-3X easily as a general rule.

And of course the capabilities of a given shotgun, given barrel and given round rely mostly on the shooter and alot of practice.

Deer are not difficult to kill at all with a proper shot that delivers enough energy.

As to any long range shotgun kills I can only personally attest to a single 12-gauge 3" Brenneke Gold Mag dropping a really nice size deer at just under 200 yards.
Old 12-29-2009, 01:02 PM
Nontypical Buck

I mean absolutely no disrespect to you kosherboy, but just out of curiosity, why would someone who is willing to wager 5 grand on a seemingly un winnable bet, shoot a mossberg?

you got big cohones ill give you that
Old 12-29-2009, 01:41 PM
bigcountry

Originally Posted by DeerandbearhoG
I mean absolutely no disrespect to you kosherboy, but just out of curiosity, why would someone who is willing to wager 5 grand on a seemingly un winnable bet, shoot a mossberg?

you got big cohones ill give you that
5 ain't nothing for him. Drop in the bucket.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.