Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

colorado sucks

Old 12-24-2009, 05:16 AM
Typical Buck

Default colorado sucks

Ok, I dont completly mean that, but I have a message for all you midwesterners that think this place is mecca: you have it better than we do here. I am talking about states like oklahoma, kansas, illinois (except the politics), iowa, etc.

You guys have like three month long bow seasons, 2 or three gun seasons, you can take more than one deer and in most cases you can hunt the whole state. Did I mention that you can actually get a deer tag?

Appreciate what you got folks, we have:
  • bow season is less than 30 days
  • the state is in over 100 sections, you can only hunt one of them for gun seasons
  • you have an over all 60 percent likelehood of getting the tag you want in the area you want but not the season you want
  • there is no antlerless season in january, EVER!
  • there is no asking for permission to hunt on private land, the rich hunters ruioned this long ago here
  • there is no hunting lease here
  • elk has an over all 19 percent success rate state wide
Count your blessings midwesterners!
Old 12-24-2009, 05:20 AM
Typical Buck

Sounds like the classic saying-"The grass is always greener on the other side"
Old 12-24-2009, 06:57 AM
Fork Horn

Sounds like Calif.! It's mostly park is'nt it? They have to feed the dogs or wolves whatever you want to call them. I guess were going to have to raise taxes!
Old 12-24-2009, 07:30 AM
Nontypical Buck

Here in Arkansas our bow season goes from October 1-February 28 each and every year we have 2 muzzleoading seasons one 20 day moderen gun hunt and 2 youth hunts.We also have zones though,we also have the 3 point restriction,but I know I have it good,& I need to thank god for it more than I do!
Old 12-24-2009, 08:07 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by ejpaul1
Ok, I dont completly mean that, but I have a message for all you midwesterners that think this place is mecca: you have it better than we do here. I am talking about states like oklahoma, kansas, illinois (except the politics), iowa, etc.

You guys have like three month long bow seasons, 2 or three gun seasons, you can take more than one deer and in most cases you can hunt the whole state. Did I mention that you can actually get a deer tag?

Appreciate what you got folks, we have:
  • bow season is less than 30 days
  • the state is in over 100 sections, you can only hunt one of them for gun seasons
  • you have an over all 60 percent likelehood of getting the tag you want in the area you want but not the season you want
  • there is no antlerless season in january, EVER!
  • there is no asking for permission to hunt on private land, the rich hunters ruioned this long ago here
  • there is no hunting lease here
  • elk has an over all 19 percent success rate state wide
Count your blessings midwesterners!

Its ok...we're not wild about you either.
Old 12-24-2009, 08:26 AM
Nontypical Buck

I feel for you living in Colorado,you have out of staters come up there and throw the cash around and make it close to impossible for a resident to simply go hunting.The cash from hunting is great but alot of people bring attitudes which makes locals have their own then things fall apart...not all but I know it does happen.If I lved where I had a influx of touristas it would do same to me...there's not a 380" elk behind every tree there and there's not a 200" white tail in every sendero in Texas,don't care how much you spent to get there or here it ain't happening!
Old 12-24-2009, 08:31 AM
Dominant Buck

I like Colorado and the people I have met there. I have been going for 4 years now and plan to continue to hunt there as long as I physically can. Beautiful country, great game and lots of places to hunt. What's not to like?
Old 12-24-2009, 08:47 AM
Nontypical Buck

Lived in CO my whole life and have hunted here since I was 9 years old. Apparently we see hunting in CO totally different. If you know how to use the system (DOW) you can hunt every year for the big three and at least mathmatically have a chance to hunt the rarer beasts too.

I hunt with a few friends and family every year. We almost always get our deer (bucks and does), always get our antelope (again bucks and does) regularly get elk. After the big game seasons there are thousands of acres that allow for excellent coyote hunting thru March. By then I gear up for Bi monthly prairie dog shootin, then put the guns down and fish til end of Aug. Go shoot a few more thousand prairie dogs and start the big game all over again. You got some other place I can do that ?

I would say at least once per month I ask permission to hunt on private land. I rarely get denied. Maybe its you.

In CO you can get at least two deer. I chose not to this year but easily could have.

Last edited by skb2706; 12-24-2009 at 08:52 AM.
Old 12-24-2009, 08:58 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have a question for the natives up there.I have been to Wyoming hunting awhile back and my father use to hunt up at Grand Junction back in the 60's and 70's and nephew has rodeoed in the mountain states.Is it my imagination or is there some ill feeling towards folks from Texas and Oklahoma? I know there use to be a eliment of people from down here go north and throw money around during the oil booms is that some of it? When I was in Wyoming with Texas plates a gent from Texas driving a logging truck said I might want to cover the plates with snow or prepare to find a tough guy,my nephew was riding bareback horses in Montana and made fantastic ride...flawless and some local made 7 second side saddle ride and scored 10 points better...thats home cooking for you!They blame a majority for a minorities behavior.
Old 12-24-2009, 11:00 AM
Typical Buck

no no no, I dont have any bad feelings towards out of staters skb2706, but I go regularly to other states for whitetail hunting. And no, you cannot get a tag every year. I have been shut out 2 years in a row for an area in which I own land. Cant hunt my own land. Something wrong with that. Anyway, it isnt horrible, but to whoever says that they just ask permission to hunt and get it most of the time, you must be real good friends with them. That dont happen in colorado like it used to. I do get animals, but I dont like having to be at the mercy of the leftover system. It isnt horrible, it is just harder to get what you want. I have relatives that want to come here and hunt all of the time, they have all been dissapointed that it isnt as easy and plentiful as oklahoma and illinois. they get a renewed appreciation for hunting back home after a bowhunt here.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.