Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Who is a REAL hunter?

Old 01-17-2012, 04:19 PM
Fork Horn

Having been in the business, all I can say is, and lmao.
Old 01-17-2012, 06:54 PM
Giant Nontypical

That's one person's opinion that I don't agree with at all. Rich loser, huh? I'm with SWT and would hunt with David down on his ranch any day!!! It would seem to me like if he was a loser he wouldn't have written about those two hunts!
Old 01-17-2012, 08:28 PM
Spike

Tim Wells is my pick...met him at the ATA...stud stud stud! And you wouldn't have known he was there! He even 3Dpeep'd for me without asking me to pay him...which is a joke in itself I must say!
Old 01-17-2012, 08:30 PM
Spike

http://www.3Dpeepsight.com
Old 01-17-2012, 09:55 PM
Giant Nontypical

Real hunters don't care what others are doing.
Old 01-18-2012, 03:55 AM
Nontypical Buck

This thread has turned right away from the idea of what it was posted for. I now read replies and can't help but think that most of the replies are directed towards the favorites of who you may like to watch.

Are they real hunters, do they have knowledge in a woods that we all tend to hunt over a outfitted hunt or high fence. The thing that everyone tends to forget is that the shows we see on the channels we watch would not be anything but boring. The success level would not be there and the cost would be so far out of the world that 99% of the Outdoor TV personal would not afford to keep running and taping spending money in licenses just to try and put a show on the tube that you and I maybe able to relate too. We would all be watching "The Young and Sexless" with our wives because our entertainment would not be on that remote.

I have hunted with a few of these guys and hang out with a lot of them at shows and most are down to earth guys. They don't blow the wind that they are any one bit better then you and I and treat this whole hunting film indrusty like a job and maybe a hobby. Do you not think that at some point before the start of cameras and sponsers that they did not hunt the same woods as most of us ? They started just the same but there is nothing like being setup in a treestand on management lands with a camera man and after an hour in the stand here comes "Guess who" You - walking by right at the time that things may have happened. This is the only way to eliminate these sort of things is to get away from the general public to put togther something that is show content.

Hunting is competitive and when hunting private grounds with others that have the same permission as possibly one of these guys and a cameraman do you honestly think your going to just toss up your arms and walk away allowing them to film and do a show that you can watch in a year ? No - your going after the same game, you got every bit of permission and every bit of chance to take that very animal that they are also hunting.

I've been on all sides of this debate and see what there is to trying to put together something for the general public to enjoy and I also get the comments that have been tossed out here in this thread that I have to ignor because I would not enjoy the things I do.

Do I hunt all the places that are discribed here Nope I have only hunted one ranch in my life and the rest is all on places that you and your friends all hunt on. Thats why I have not got a TV show but love to hunt...
Old 01-18-2012, 05:44 AM
Fork Horn

Adrian pretty well nailed it. There are a few real jerks in the bunch but you find that in everything including this forum. I spent a major portion of the last 30-years hunting with many of the guys mentioned as they were coming up. Most are excellent hunters and far better than the average guy because they have to be. Most, givenm the time we have, could walk onto any of our properties, public and private and find some of the best stand sites. I know that because I have watched many of them do so.

True, they hunt the best places because they can. So would anyone on here with any sense. Because of that and the fact they run seven days a week during the season, they can kill five or six big deer every year. Time constraints don't allow them to do as much scouting as they would like. They depend on landowners and employees for much of that. But one they climb the tree,it is all on them. When I was on camera, I always did my own scouting on the properties I hunted b ut I scouted where the guides suggested and hung my own stands. Most today don't have that much time. They have 3-4 days and then they have to be somewhere else.

The above of course, does not include the high-fence group. There are a few of them and I do not condone that. But a high fence around 12,000 acres is not a pen. Don't confuse the two.

That said, outdoor programming today is terrible and has probably done more damage to deer hunting than any other factor. To make it worse, with the availability of today's video equipment, every Tom, Dick and Vladimir features themselves as a video producer. Therefore much of the stuff on the air today is absolutely horrible and it seems to me, few of the on camera people have a glimmer of how to speak English or act in public.

Bottom line is this. No matter who it is, no matter where it is, no matter what it is. The goal of the program is to sell something and make money. It is designed to be entertainment. Since I do not find even mine to be entertaining anymore, I do not watch any of it except by accident. The minute I hear, "This is about hunting the way the common Joe hunts, not some "star" killing a huge buck.", I know that show is doomed. The way most of us hunt is as 100% boring as watching a bar of soap.

So, who are the real hunters? Most of them.

Old 01-18-2012, 09:41 AM
Giant Nontypical

The more money you spend on a hunt, the more you are paying for someone else to do the "work" for you !
Old 01-18-2012, 10:35 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by Sheridan
The more money you spend on a hunt, the more you are paying for someone else to do the "work" for you !
That is partially true but only if that is the way you want it to be. I have had hunters pay me premium price for a whitetail hunt and then come and do it 100% their way. Some were happy with the results, some not.

It is wise to consider what you are really wanting from the hunt. If it is a head on the wall, usually it is best to listen to the guide.

If you know more than he does although you have never seen the place but wish to experience the whole thing even though you may not see a deer, then ask to do it your way.

The amount of money you spend is often closely tied to the quality of the animals and the quality of the operation. That often results in the quality of the hunt, not how much work is done for you.
Old 01-19-2012, 12:34 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by 3Dpeepsights
Tim Wells is my pick...met him at the ATA...stud stud stud! And you wouldn't have known he was there! He even 3Dpeep'd for me without asking me to pay him...which is a joke in itself I must say!
Yes, I agree too! Some of the stuff he does on film is just awesome. It must take hours and misses to finally get it to come together. Some of the stuff they do is a little weird at times, but he can hunt, no doubt about it.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.