Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Who is a REAL hunter?

Old 12-23-2009, 01:44 AM
Fork Horn

Interesting on Raglin. I moved him down my list if he's a jerk. But I'm also willing to bet alot of those guys are and for really no good reason as they just get the animals because they pay the bucks for someone to lead them to them. I can't believe Larry Weishuhn would be a jerk though.

Did you ever see a "George Klucky" hunting video. Hilarious. In one he emptied his gun at a moose missing them all and reloaded and missed some more. I swear he wore high heeled boots to try to look taller.

Back in their day though it was some good photography...
Old 12-23-2009, 03:25 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Who is a REAL hunter?

Obviously to be one you need to post on internet forums to make all aware of your skill and qualifications to be a "real" hunter.

Last edited by SteveBNy; 12-23-2009 at 03:33 AM.
Old 12-23-2009, 03:42 AM
Nontypical Buck

Smile

Originally Posted by mondoman86
Roger raglin hunts on game farms also. One of my dads very good friends use to work at dream mountain in west virginia. Its a high fence operation. He said roger raglin would come in every year to do a couple hunts. They accomadate you with venision to eat for lunch, and all other nice trimmings to go with it. He said that roger raglin was a real jerk. He refused to eat the food they prepared for all of the hunters. He orders a pizza instead. I've never felt the same way towards him after hearing this. He said he had no class whatsoever.
Roger is a good as any other hunter mentioned here thus far. He's one of the few who really know BIG bucks and through hard work, like ALL DAY SITS and persistence, he gets the job done. He often mentions eating tag sandwiches too! He has a "drawer" full of them accumulated over the years. That often happens when you are after trophy class bucks.

As for him passing up on a "venision to eat for lunch, and all other nice trimmings...", I can believe him passing it up. It was also mentioned he "would come in every year", so maybe he knows the food there and doesn't particularly care for it? I know one thing, venison isn't the end all be all to the finest cuisine in the world. It's awesome meat and one can do good things with it, but I DO get bored of it and happily give some away every year. To me it's a delicacy, so I have it sparingly through out the year until the next season. If you ask me what I want, "venison or pizza?", I have way more venison than pizza, so I just might choose the pizza instead. I suppose that makes me a jerk, right?

Imagine, hunting professionally, filming hunts from September to January, eating "venison" could get old after a while if everywhere I went I was served the same old same old. I think I would enjoy an occasional pizza too. LOL!

Jim Shockey is one of my more favorite hunters, but take away those pop-up blinds that's been there for weeks on end, those corn & feed piles in front of them and the open expanse of the clearings, he'd have a challenge on his hands. And yeah, I have about every one of his buck hunting videos to draw my conclusions from.

I do realize many of these filmed hunts are assisted by outfitters. Not so much in being there over their shoulder, but putting the film teams in front of shootable bucks. It's pay to play hunting.

You guys remember Myles Keller? Well, I was in an archery store in Rochester, MN one time and he was there. I think at the time he was sponsored by XI bows. He was asking Marty for a price quote on a bow. Marty said "This one?", "No." "This one?" "No.", then Myles pointed at a Mathews and Marty was sort of surprised. I could see his facial expressions. Well, the big thing was that I over heard Myles talking about a hunt he's trying to set up. He said he's "negotiating" the price on a hunt, as there was a big buck or two on this guy's farm and he wanted over a $1,000 to hunt there! Wouldn't have thought that unless I was there in person seeing and hearing it myself!

I can mention a long list of hunters I think are "real". One that comes to mind is Alan Altizer. He's for "real". So is Bob Foulkrod, Dan Fitzgerald, The Nuge, Jay Gregory, Fred Bear....

iSnipe
Old 12-23-2009, 07:05 AM
Boone & Crockett

hey here is my website tring to show people real hunting and not all those monster bucks that we all know are hard to find.
Holy self promotion Batman.
Old 12-23-2009, 08:05 AM
Nontypical Buck

The guys from Blood Brothers Outdoors are for the most part real hunters. They have been featured on Lone Wolf Addictions, they don't go to guided hunts to shoot their videos. They have good scouting and hunting videos.

http://bloodbro.com/
Old 12-23-2009, 08:20 AM
Nontypical Buck

Certainly none of the above. I really don't think any of them could hunt down a bag a chips at the grocery store. These are guys that have a camera man, with camera turned on, walking backwards lead them to the fallin trophy. Actually the camera man is probably the best of that whole group.
Old 12-23-2009, 08:31 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have little/no respect for any of them. IMO, it's all a marketing ploy, infomercials to try to separate hunters from their hard earned money.

Very little has anything to do with the way it is in the real world, at least here in New England. With the exception of the Benoit family, I have yet to see any hunting show take place in northern New England. I understand why, $$ being the main reason.

Bottom line; Can any of these so-called professional hunters come up to Maine, New Hampshire or Vermont, where some of the biggest bucks in North America live, and drag out a big old bruiser, I have my doubts.
Old 12-23-2009, 08:52 AM
Banned

ON ONE OF THE SHOWS, YOU COULD MAKE OUT THE GAME FENCE THROUGH THE TREE'S

certainly that is a way to get a good trophy....not for me, i could get a lease fer at least2 years with that cash, whick i have 40 acres and dont do leases, but i am thinking about a bigger stretch.

i have seen very little shows , like ted, and a few others where its the real deal.i like those
Old 12-23-2009, 09:08 AM
Nontypical Buck

I think a lot of you people are way off base. Sure the professionals have all of the best thrown at them. But, that being said, most of them get the job done year after year, location after location. They put in the time and effort to find the best spot get in without alarming the deer and make the shot and on camera to boot in just a few days. There are at least two people and a whole lot of the extra equipment that goes along with it - scent control.

I don't like watching all of them and their associated programs. I pick and choose which ones get air time on my TV. But, think about it for while before going on your rants. The professionals are promoting hunting and a lot of people on this thread are bashing them for making a living at it.
Old 12-23-2009, 09:22 AM
Super Moderator

I like all that are mentioned.
Greg Miller in, In Pursuit With Greg Miller.
He has good pointers to help hunters.
And I love the ( From The Pages Of ) part of his show.

They all go to places, that we just can't go.
But hey, they have to make it look good some how.

JMHO

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.