Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Who is a REAL hunter?

Old 12-22-2009, 06:05 PM
Fork Horn

Default Who is a REAL hunter?

I'm talking about the so called "pro's" on TV. I think most of them shoot their deer on preserves. (Voice in the background)... "okay Joe, release the deer"....

Anyway, there are some that could get a buck all on their own without a guides help. Two I know of are Roger Raglin (who went on public hunting ground in Wisconsin all by himself and got a buck that made the book) and Larry Weishuhn. They don't need the guide to tell them if the buck is good enough to shoot. I won't bash some of these "famous" guys but some are NOT that good.

And if they diddled around on a Wisconsin buck like they do on their shows they'd never get one. They sit and wait for the deer to turn just so, then they might load the gun. Or they don't take the safety off until the buck has taken another bite of clover etc etc. The window of opportunity on a Wisconsin (or other deep woods state like Michigan, Minnesota, etc) buck is very short and if you dink around like those guys do you won't get anything. That's what leads me to believe some of these "pros" have never hunted some tough conditions.

Who do you guys respect of the TV pros and why?

Last edited by warbirdlover; 12-22-2009 at 06:07 PM.
Old 12-22-2009, 06:08 PM
Spike

hey here is my website tring to show people real hunting and not all those monster bucks that we all know are hard to find.

check it out and let me know what ya think www.outdoormaniacs.net
Old 12-22-2009, 06:08 PM
Fork Horn

Ive never seen a hunting show that I thought was "real" they all look a lot more like shooting than hunting to me.
Old 12-22-2009, 06:26 PM
Spike

I'm with ya 100%,
Funny thing cause my hunting buddy and were discussing this very subject. I enjoy watching a hunting program or two but sometimes they're too commercialized with an almost unrealistec and unbelieveable number of big bucks to does ratio , stuff you'd never see anything like this in the wild. Its just not natural.

The only so called pros I use to enjoy reading articles about was the Benoit family from Vermont.
Old 12-22-2009, 06:57 PM
Nontypical Buck

people who hunt on thier own land or public land.....not with outfitters
Old 12-22-2009, 07:05 PM
Fork Horn

I hate to break it to you but Larry Weishuhn hunts on game farms. I was watching his show the other day on the versus channel and he was passing bucks that scored in the 160-170 because the guide said they were to small and then in the same day he goes and shoots a deer that scores over 200 inches. I don't give him any respect when he hunts in a game farm.
Old 12-22-2009, 08:28 PM
Fork Horn

I know LW hunts some on game farms but he also hunts open land. I think he could score a buck on his own IMHO.

When some of these guys ask the guide if it's good enough to shoot I doubt their credibility. I've never heard LW do that but I'm also deafer then a doornail, LOL.

And how come all these pros wear cowboy hats?

Which brings up another ace I forgot that could do it on his own... Jim Shockey.

Old 12-22-2009, 08:44 PM
Boone & Crockett

Jim Shockey, Fred Eichler and the Eastman family.
Old 12-23-2009, 12:09 AM
Fork Horn

Roger raglin hunts on game farms also. One of my dads very good friends use to work at dream mountain in west virginia. Its a high fence operation. He said roger raglin would come in every year to do a couple hunts. They accomadate you with venision to eat for lunch, and all other nice trimmings to go with it. He said that roger raglin was a real jerk. He refused to eat the food they prepared for all of the hunters. He orders a pizza instead. I've never felt the same way towards him after hearing this. He said he had no class whatsoever.
Old 12-23-2009, 01:20 AM
Fork Horn

Uncle Ted.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.