Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

On assignment to Illinois

Old 12-22-2009, 02:23 PM
Fork Horn

Default On assignment to Illinois

I found out this past week that I am on assignment to Great Lakes Illinois. I am in the Army and I am going to Naval base there. I have been stationed in Germany for the past two years with one tour to Iraq so I havent been hunting for deer in two years. I have only hunted Texas my whole life so I am very excited at the chance to get a crack at an Illinois whitetail. I have seen a lot of B&C whitetail in magazines and hunting shows come from Illinois. I will be looking at the rules and laws to get a chance at one of those bruisers. Can anyone give me any quick advice or assistance on what to expect? thanks in advance.
Old 12-22-2009, 03:46 PM
Fork Horn

Welcome back. There are plenty of deer for you. Just pick a spot, hint: find some agriculture! Post picks of that bruiser when you get him.....
Old 12-22-2009, 06:59 PM
Nontypical Buck

i think you will find that there are not near the number of booners around as what a lot of people think....but yes we do have some great deer
Old 12-22-2009, 07:10 PM
Fork Horn

Unfortunatly being stationed in Northern Illinois is going to make it tough for you to find a place to hunt. There is public land but they are generaly pressured pretty heavy based on the proximity to Chicago.

If you PM me I will be willing to point you in the direction of some decent public land....I have had decent success on a few of them.

Scott
Old 12-22-2009, 11:30 PM
Spike

Talking

Great lakes is more or less Gurnee. Would It be better to advise him to try and hunt up in Wisconsin? Seeing as your about 20 minutes away from the border (if that, with construction that was going on it used to be all backed up, probably back to 10) maybe look into the laws for Wisconsin too.

I bet there's someone on base that you can find that hunts, people are fro all over the place and you never know their background until you bring up hunting.

Illinois is slugs only I know for deer. I don't think that you need to get a foid card because active duty in the military is one of the ways to get around that.

I don't actually hunt yet so I have dont have much really useful information to put in. Good luck and I hope someone else can help you more than I can
Old 12-23-2009, 09:57 AM
Nontypical Buck

Last time I was at Great Lakes was for basic. I'd have to agree on trying to hunt Wisconsin due to the proximity of Chicago.
Old 12-23-2009, 11:17 AM
Nontypical Buck

Check into Illinois Beach State Park. Don't know if they allow hunting, but it is loaded with deer.
Old 12-23-2009, 10:55 PM
Giant Nontypical

Bottom line is for firearm hunting in IL he running out of time - QUICK! The last firearm deer hunts are the 2 late winter seasons.

Check out this link for dates and some info. Might get in somewhere and somehow. Hunter safety certification may be an issue also.

And there is bowhunting.......
Old 12-23-2009, 11:31 PM
Spike

I dont think active military need hunter safety. Im pretty sure i read that in one of the regs somewhere. Ill see if i can find it

Edit:I just looked all over and that was for buying a handgun sorry

Edit: ThExemption for Military—Effective July 26, 2009, members of the United States military with a valid military identification card or a Form DD 214 are exempt from the skill training requirement (although they must attend the conservation and sportsmanship sections of the classroom session.) The law does not exempt U.S. military personnel from hunter education training—ONLY the skill component.

Proved myself wrong haha

Last edited by crm7290; 12-23-2009 at 11:52 PM.
Old 12-24-2009, 02:05 AM
Typical Buck

+3 Go north young man, Wisconsin has some great deer hunting as does Illinois.