Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Frustraiting Situation

Old 12-22-2009, 02:21 PM
Typical Buck

Default Frustraiting Situation

So I have some land (about 45 acres) which I have hunted for the past 3 years. Great land lots of deer use it. No pressure other than myself on it. I can bow hunt only on it. Anyways, about a month ago I went by to modify a stand and there was a guy there talking to the owner. He had asked permission to hunt the land also. He was turned down because the owner only allows bowhunting and the guy wanted to use a rifle. Yesterday I was sitting in the back corner of the land hoping for a late season buck to come by. I have a perminent stand in place about 20 yards from where I was but chose to use my climber to get closer to the edge. I had just gotten settled in when I saw a guy walking through the woods. Now in 3 years I haven't seen a soul on this land at all. I watched in horror as the guy climbed up a stand (wasn't there last week) that was about 10 feet from the fence line about 10 yards from my stand and about 40 yards from me. He climbed on up and settled in with his rifle. It's not as though his stand was facing away from the land I hunt either. It was obvious he was hunting the whole corner. There isn't anything I nor the land owner can do. His stand isn't on his property but what a jerk to put his stand right beside mine and it's obvious if a buck cut's the line he's sitting just right to shoot over the line. Thats just dirty.
Old 12-22-2009, 03:10 PM
Fork Horn

I don't know what state you're in, but I believe that here in Ohio if you shoot a deer on someone else's property without permission, no matter if you're on the property or not, it's poaching. If he's set up facing property he doesn't have permission to hunt, you might want to get the wildlife officer involved.
Old 12-22-2009, 03:18 PM
Fork Horn

You can talk to him. Ask him if he will only shoot eight point or better? Then use him to your advantage! That's what I do, the deer will see him sitting in a stand like a mile away......
Old 12-22-2009, 03:23 PM
Typical Buck

call your GW up and tell him your problem cause if his stand is facing towards the other guys land then plan on shooting a deer of of it at least that's what one GW told me .Like i said tell you problem maybe he'll talk to the guys and he'll ask him why he's hunting the fence line with his stand facing the other land .
Old 12-22-2009, 03:27 PM
Giant Nontypical

Moth ball time...Tie 4-5 in old socks or woman's hose, make up
5-6 of these and tie in cedar trees around his stand...Find another area to hunt for the rest of the year...You can remove after the season...

I wouldn't waste my time or breath talking to him or the GW...This guy knows exactly what he's doing, doesn't want to scout or learn to hunt...He saw your stand and said "Screw him"...I'd return the favor...
Old 12-22-2009, 03:37 PM
Fork Horn

Maybe he did'nt see your stand or you. Were you wearing your orange? Sounds like a case of he was the first one up to me. I had a similar situation, I was up about thirty feet with a ton of orange on, a guy walked up to me about fiftey yards and put his climber up right in front of me. Right at last light I had a three pointer under my stand sniffen my scent waffers and I hammered him. Then with ten minutes left to hunt the guy gets out of the tree and walks over to my deer,"you gonna come get this" I replied "Yes, hold on a minute", I tagged my deer with him standing right over me. Talk about wierd...

Last edited by Big Buck Dave; 12-22-2009 at 03:42 PM.
Old 12-23-2009, 04:37 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by arrow2512
call your GW up and tell him your problem cause if his stand is facing towards the other guys land then plan on shooting a deer of of it at least that's what one GW told me...
That sounds premature for me. I can't see any officer in the world would have a leg to stand on for issuing any kind of violation ticket based solely on what direction a stand is facing. I often face my stands on the opposite side of the tree in situations where the tree is small and it can hide me a little better.

I know it's obvious what this guy's intention is, but there's not a whole lot you can do about it until he actually does something... and is caught in the act.

iSnipe
Old 12-23-2009, 05:09 AM
Typical Buck

It always amazes me when i read posts like this. If you choose to set yer stand that close to a property line you are setting yourself up to have company from neighboring hunters. Im not saying its right for this guy to be shooting across the property line but until he does he hasnt done anything wrong.
Old 12-23-2009, 05:17 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by iSnipe
That sounds premature for me. I can't see any officer in the world would have a leg to stand on for issuing any kind of violation ticket based solely on what direction a stand is facing. I often face my stands on the opposite side of the tree in situations where the tree is small and it can hide me a little better.

I know it's obvious what this guy's intention is, but there's not a whole lot you can do about it until he actually does something... and is caught in the act.

iSnipe
My thoughts exactly!
Old 12-23-2009, 06:09 AM
Spike

Your in GA like me and I can tell you straight from the wardens mouth in my county that they have to have written permission to step foot on your property and cannot shoot nor come onto your land without said permission to retrieve his deer. That being said you cannot do anyhting since hes not on your land but he cannot shoot anything on your side. The warden even told me you DO NOT have to have your borders posted, just have a land lot map with you if a warden is to be called when someone is on your property. The wardens can even use all there powers in that situation to. If the guy didnt see you I would consider a little covert op and sit back there to try and catch him if he does shoot on your land. To me it sounds like hes the guy that got turned down and is ticked off so hes gettin as close as he can.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.