HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Whitetail Deer Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting-4/)
-   -   "That's not hunting" (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting/313148-thats-not-hunting.html)

Grizzl 12-24-2009 05:32 AM

Originally Posted by 13pointjomc (Post 3537635)
When i hunt a food plot,SOMETIMES u see a deer.U dont just watch a food plot and see 20 does and a bunch of small bucks,waiting 4 a monster to come out.Unless your name is Bill Jordan! IMO,watching a food plot IS hunting!Its rare i see deer,so i shoot anything that aint got spots on it!

I see nothing wrong with hunting food plots. These are ussually acres in size and deer can approach at any angle any time..plus there is no Signal like a feeder spreader that rings a dinner bell.

Just like the rat/mice study where they learn to press a button to get food..deer learn to associate the whirring sound of a spreader with food. If it's year round feeding then the animal ACLIMATES to Human intervention in their environment and if supplemental feeding is greater than the natual food source the deer become DEPENDANT. This REMOVES the instinctual fear factor. You might as well be shooting a cow.

Just a suggestion, the bigger deer know the danger of going into an open field with no cover. If you set your stand back into the woods from the field you'll see where the deer stage before nightfall and get a shot in before dark. Use the wind and heaviest cover next to the field to select the ambush site...you'll get more action and see better deer. Plus, in every case where I tagged a Trophy deer, it Followed other deer watching for danger by some distance..if you shoot the 1st animal..you'll never see Mr. Big. Course..if the lead animal sees you its all over too.

But thats the fun of it all :cool2:

SWThomas 12-24-2009 07:46 AM

Just my $0.02 but there are a lot of hypocrites and folks with "Holier than thou" attitudes here.

Hunting a foodplot or a feeder is just another advantage that some people employ to better their chances of taking an animal home. An advantage is an advantage. If someone uses a call, scent spray, or a special little device on their weapon of choice, how is that different than the hunter that chooses to use a feeder? It's still an advantage. Is it really your belief that your advantage is better than someone elses??? We're really splitting hair with semantics in this thread.

IMO, we all use advantages to help our chances. Some use foodplots, some use different kind of equipment. It's been said before that the only way you can really point a finger and be taken seriously is if you hunt with a sharpened stick while wearing a loin-cloth. Otherwise, we're all equal.

Grizzl 12-24-2009 07:53 AM

Originally Posted by SWThomas (Post 3538035)
Just my $0.02 but there are a lot of hypocrites and folks with "Holier than thou" attitudes here.

Hunting a foodplot or a feeder is just another advantage that some people employ to better their chances of taking an animal home. An advantage is an advantage. If someone uses a call, scent spray, or a special little device on their weapon of choice, how is that different than the hunter that chooses to use a feeder? It's still an advantage. Is it really your belief that your advantage is better than someone elses??? We're really splitting hair with semantics in this thread.

IMO, we all use advantages to help our chances. Some use foodplots, some use different kind of equipment. It's been said before that the only way you can really point a finger and be taken seriously is if you hunt with a sharpened stick while wearing a loin-cloth. Otherwise, we're all equal.

I guess its banning time? Why is it hypocritical to disavow some tactics? And here comes the name calling "holier than thou"...

I'm out here....

FLBandit 12-24-2009 08:24 AM

Well, I tend to disagree with Hunting shows giving hunters a black eye. I think it's like any other show in that they portray the "action" rather than the endless prep. Fishing shows are the same way. All show clean-cut people, going out in the field talking about conservation and ethical harvest. How does that give hunting a bad name? It beats the hell out of the image of Hunters as being drunken low-lifes, who shoot out of truck windows in the middle of the night. And before anyone gets all indignant, I have heard that stereotype many times over the years. I used to ride off-road motorcycles before an injury made me stop. A group of riders I know wouldn't ride in the National Forest during deer season due to "Drunks with guns". I think anything that can dispel that image is good for the sport. Ok, now I'm out to see if I can get $10,000.00 so I can sit in that heated blind with coffee and doughnuts! :)

13pointjomc 12-24-2009 08:25 AM

Well,ive already killed a monster buck last year,(13 point),thats why i shoot does small buck or if the monster steps out,i kill it!Now if a doe or small buck walks out,lookin back in d woods i'll wait n c whats behind him!

GTOHunter 12-24-2009 08:45 AM

With Everyone worried about the Land depleting with it being split up and most Farming land having houses and subdivisions put on it and Big Business taking over most of it one of these days....how many of us Hunters have taken a Youth out there hunting that doesn't have a place to hunt and introduce them into Hunting?Instead of arguing about what is the definition of Hunting how about Sharing and having Compassion for each other and the sport of hunting.My Father In-law has let Family and Friends hunt on His property that other wise wouldn't have a chance to hunt else where,on the Land we Lease the Owner has let us take Youths there to hunt and He is more thrilled when a Youth gets a Deer than if he got a Deer himself and we take the Kids out in the Big Woods and on the Food Plots so they have a better chance of getting a Deer.

Go tell a Young Kid that not Hunting...most Kids around here know if your going to kill a Big Buck you have to hunt hard and go where they are in the woods or the thick stuff.In my Opinion...when your teaching a Youth to hunt you don't put pressure on them and your there to teach them the fundamentals of Hunting and how to enjoy being in the outdoors,eventually they will advance with the hunting skills.

I usually don't get into these kind of arguments but I fell like the opinions are one side and I like the comments of several members here that passionate about Hunting.Oh Yeah...Merry Christmas Everyone ;)

SWThomas 12-24-2009 11:52 AM

Originally Posted by Grizzl (Post 3538046)
I guess its banning time? Why is it hypocritical to disavow some tactics? And here comes the name calling "holier than thou"...

I'm out here....

It's not hypocritical to disavow some tactics. It is however hypocritical to denounce employing something as an advantage while employing advantages yourself.

SWThomas 12-24-2009 12:34 PM

Originally Posted by Ridge Runner (Post 3538317)
How is it different, lets see does the other advantages you speak of, aclimate deer to come to this spot for food, every day, then one day he goes there just like he has for a month, but its opening day, so he dies, and your a supermod, and don't see a difference? and we're hypocrites?
RR

Maybe you should look up the definition of hypocrite. Yes, my opinion may be different than yours but that isn't me being hypocritical. Being hypocritical is someone saying something is wrong while they're doing it too.

SWThomas 12-24-2009 07:15 PM

Originally Posted by Ridge Runner (Post 3538500)
and someone saying whats wrong is right cause its what they do isn't a hipocrite?
OK, whatever
RR

Huh?......

G92 12-24-2009 08:06 PM

bowhunting =the way to go.i hate shotgun season.it sucks everybody and there brother becomes a "hunter" .however there is somting to be said for muzzleoader.oh and food plots =not for me (its not legal) and im thankfull its not,it would reck hunting the way its supposed to be,you getting close to your animal.IMO