HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Whitetail Deer Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting-4/)
-   -   "That's not hunting" (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting/313148-thats-not-hunting.html)

noidurism 12-23-2009 05:37 AM

if people really want to get technical-hunting is stalking the game. and sitting or standing is just a wait and shoot! but for me it's all the above as long as they are not fenced in or in a preserve(which i don't do).

PAThwacker 12-23-2009 05:55 AM

After 24 years hunting public land in NEPA. Just look for squirrels and your chances of seeing deer are guaranteed. No squirrels, no acorns, no deer. Hunting isn't that difficult is it.

Horacio 12-23-2009 06:50 AM

I saw something on another forum that I thought was pretty good in terms of considering this argument. 'What would a Native American do?'

Do you think he would be opposed to laying down a pile of corn in order to attract a game animal to a location and improve his chances? I tend to doubt that.

Here's what Ted Nugent has to say about it:

http://deeranddeerhunting.com/articl...to-backstraps/

The biggest point for me in this debate is that its much ado about nothing. If it is within the the lawful/legal limits set by the area/region you're hunting in, then what's the issue? Its a philosophical argument when there are real issues and threats to hunter's rights real and present. This is small potatoes. what I don't understand and probably never will is the need to impugn others for their methods that are well within the law.

bcrewcaptain 12-23-2009 07:21 AM

here is my outlook on it...I don't "bait" as that is illegal...I do however drop a gallon bucket or so of corn on the ground every couple days at the back of my property(before season begins)...I live in a subdivision comprised of several acres lots, the yard/roads are covered with deer at night, so they are already conditioned to human activity. The property that meets up with the back of mine is 1200acres of dense woods, nobody is allowed to hunt and I will not trespass just to get that deer. Judging by my trailcam pics, the deer are certainly coming to the area....were they before?I don't know but I see nothing wrong with having them shift their pattern onto my property. I'm not hunting over bait, but using the food source to pattern them pre-season...and for what it's worth...I'm still deerless this season..so it's not like they sit and wait for the bucket all year...

toyota4x4 12-23-2009 07:44 AM

Ted Nugent is the man on many diffrent topics. I agree with him 100% on everything he says. My only question is when the heck is he gonna run for president? Rock on Uncle Ted!! :party0007:

ipscshooter 12-23-2009 08:43 AM

If it's consistent with the State's game laws, and you're outdoors enjoying your surroundings, and it involves the killing of a game animal with a gun or a bow or other legal weapon, and afterwards you go back to camp to swap stories and lies with your buddies around the campfire, then it's "hunting."

Grizzl 12-23-2009 09:05 AM

Originally Posted by Horacio (Post 3537199)
what I don't understand and probably never will is the need to impugn others for their methods that are well within the law.

1) Because these methods encourage the growth of big business Hunting ranches and they take over hunting's public personna. High Fence, pen raised hunting operations are shaping the the public's opinion of the modern hunter. I personally DON'T don't want to be associated with certain hunting practices that give hunting a black eye.
2) Big Business is buying/leasing up the land driving UP the cost of leases

3) Because of 1&2 hunting is now a bait and sit sport where hunters are confined to so many sq ft and no free ranging hunting is allowed

Yes its legal.....

So is raising a Buck from a fawn..hand feeding it..penning it until its 2.5 years +..artificially feeding it protein to grow an aberation set of antlers..releasing it for a week...setting up feeding stations so the animal seeks nourishment at the clock setting of the feeder timer..then have a FAT out of shape clueless twit pay 10K to sit in a heated blind with coffee and donuts and like was said..read ear tags with binoculars until he can find one he can afford to shoot..

Its just plain wrong....

KCbuckeye22 12-23-2009 10:33 AM

Originally Posted by Grizzl (Post 3537298)
1) Because these methods encourage the growth of big business Hunting ranches and they take over hunting's public personna. High Fence, pen raised hunting operations are shaping the the public's opinion of the modern hunter. I personally DON'T don't want to be associated with certain hunting practices that give hunting a black eye.
2) Big Business is buying/leasing up the land driving UP the cost of leases

3) Because of 1&2 hunting is now a bait and sit sport where hunters are confined to so many sq ft and no free ranging hunting is allowed

Yes its legal.....

So is raising a Buck from a fawn..hand feeding it..penning it until its 2.5 years +..artificially feeding it protein to grow an aberation set of antlers..releasing it for a week...setting up feeding stations so the animal seeks nourishment at the clock setting of the feeder timer..then have a FAT out of shape clueless twit pay 10K to sit in a heated blind with coffee and donuts and like was said..read ear tags with binoculars until he can find one he can afford to shoot..

Its just plain wrong....

I Agree! It's coming to Pay if you want to Play. Anyone with the $$$ can play, all other peasants will have to scrap for yearlings.

13pointjomc 12-23-2009 05:30 PM

When i hunt a food plot,SOMETIMES u see a deer.U dont just watch a food plot and see 20 does and a bunch of small bucks,waiting 4 a monster to come out.Unless your name is Bill Jordan! IMO,watching a food plot IS hunting!Its rare i see deer,so i shoot anything that aint got spots on it!

crokit 12-24-2009 03:12 AM

Originally Posted by Grizzl (Post 3537298)
1)

Its just plain wrong....

A friggin' men!!:s6: