HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Whitetail Deer Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting-4/)
-   -   "That's not hunting" (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting/313148-thats-not-hunting.html)

dEsireTohUnt 10-29-2013 07:39 PM

I don't understand how QDM isn't a good thing? To each his own right, but I believe this is something that should be practiced everywhere. It grows healthy deer, and im not talking about deer management with high fences, but putting a food plot on a piece of property to increase rack growth only produces nicer deer.

NjHunter85 10-29-2013 08:35 PM

no matter what you do if your not poaching then your hunting. Its a game you play basically, and whatever you do to get that buck is playing "the game". If you set a bait pile, or sit under acorn tree, or set a stand up near water its all tactics to take wild game. Your right, there is no difference. that guy is weird

FlDeerman 10-30-2013 04:34 AM

This argument gets done every season on here.It's usually the guy who claims "if you don't do it like I do it then it's wrong."It's kind of like the scent free sprays,some use them others "claim"they don't work and a waste of money.
We are hunters,we come from all parts of the country,and we all have different situations.Now me I think using tracking snow would be well easier.Of coarse we don't have much snow here in Florida(lol).
So for all the "you aren't hunting if you don't do it like I do",GET OVER IT.

Wilcam47 10-30-2013 09:14 AM

Originally Posted by Chris_H (Post 3546038)
Every deer hunter I've ever talked to down hunts or has hunted over a corn pile. Its just the way its done down here. I fail to see the difference from hunting a planted crop and hunting a corn pile... but to each his own.

:party0005: a deer is either coming from "the kitchen" or Going to "the kitchen" what difference does it make if it stops along the way to get a snack?

olsaltydog 10-30-2013 09:25 AM

Ok, here is my take then

- Hunt according to the laws. If you don't like a law, then don't break it but work to get it changed.
- Shoot only if you truly believe you have a good shot.
- Use the whole animal don't be wasteful.

Food plots, bait piles, acorn trees is all irrelevant. You cant judge something or someone else with a clean conscience as there are things anyone of us are more than likely do to gain an advantage. In the end as long as you utilize the game you have taken to the fullest extent then your ok by me.

Night Crawler 10-30-2013 01:27 PM

so, if you can't bait you can't use decoys and doe piss right????

if I am not mistaken the states that don't allow baiting is for reasons of health of the deer CWD and such. Not because of hunter ethics but to stop the spread of disease.

rockport 10-30-2013 01:49 PM

Originally Posted by Night Crawler (Post 4093437)

if I am not mistaken the states that don't allow baiting is for reasons of health of the deer CWD and such. Not because of hunter ethics but to stop the spread of disease.

That would be correct.

SWThomas 11-18-2013 04:57 PM

Originally Posted by Night Crawler (Post 4093437)

In VA you can't bait but you can use decoys and scents. And yes, preventing disease is one of the reasons they give for not baiting. But they also mention the ethical part of it; in that it doesn't teach people to study deer behavior or learn to pattern deer.

But then they allow people to hunt deer with dogs. :confused0024:

Gunplummer 11-19-2013 03:35 AM

Times are a changen'. What is acceptable now was being a "Slob hunter" or "Game hog" 30 years ago, and vice versa. You asked, you got your answers. I really don't care, but before all you "Let's stick together Guys" start singing KumbyYa, maybe you should ask the non- hunting public what they think about baiting. They are the voting majority on hunting issues and gun control.