Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

"That's not hunting"

Old 10-29-2013, 07:39 PM
Spike

I don't understand how QDM isn't a good thing? To each his own right, but I believe this is something that should be practiced everywhere. It grows healthy deer, and im not talking about deer management with high fences, but putting a food plot on a piece of property to increase rack growth only produces nicer deer.
Old 10-29-2013, 08:35 PM
Fork Horn

no matter what you do if your not poaching then your hunting. Its a game you play basically, and whatever you do to get that buck is playing "the game". If you set a bait pile, or sit under acorn tree, or set a stand up near water its all tactics to take wild game. Your right, there is no difference. that guy is weird
Old 10-30-2013, 04:34 AM
Nontypical Buck

This argument gets done every season on here.It's usually the guy who claims "if you don't do it like I do it then it's wrong."It's kind of like the scent free sprays,some use them others "claim"they don't work and a waste of money.
We are hunters,we come from all parts of the country,and we all have different situations.Now me I think using tracking snow would be well easier.Of coarse we don't have much snow here in Florida(lol).
So for all the "you aren't hunting if you don't do it like I do",GET OVER IT.
Old 10-30-2013, 09:14 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Chris_H
Every deer hunter I've ever talked to down hunts or has hunted over a corn pile. Its just the way its done down here. I fail to see the difference from hunting a planted crop and hunting a corn pile... but to each his own.
a deer is either coming from "the kitchen" or Going to "the kitchen" what difference does it make if it stops along the way to get a snack?
Old 10-30-2013, 09:25 AM
Nontypical Buck

Ok, here is my take then

- Hunt according to the laws. If you don't like a law, then don't break it but work to get it changed.
- Shoot only if you truly believe you have a good shot.
- Use the whole animal don't be wasteful.

Food plots, bait piles, acorn trees is all irrelevant. You cant judge something or someone else with a clean conscience as there are things anyone of us are more than likely do to gain an advantage. In the end as long as you utilize the game you have taken to the fullest extent then your ok by me.
Old 10-30-2013, 01:27 PM
Fork Horn

so, if you can't bait you can't use decoys and doe piss right????

if I am not mistaken the states that don't allow baiting is for reasons of health of the deer CWD and such. Not because of hunter ethics but to stop the spread of disease.
Old 10-30-2013, 01:49 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Night Crawler

if I am not mistaken the states that don't allow baiting is for reasons of health of the deer CWD and such. Not because of hunter ethics but to stop the spread of disease.
That would be correct.
Old 11-18-2013, 04:57 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Night Crawler

In VA you can't bait but you can use decoys and scents. And yes, preventing disease is one of the reasons they give for not baiting. But they also mention the ethical part of it; in that it doesn't teach people to study deer behavior or learn to pattern deer.

But then they allow people to hunt deer with dogs.
Old 11-19-2013, 03:35 AM
Typical Buck

Times are a changen'. What is acceptable now was being a "Slob hunter" or "Game hog" 30 years ago, and vice versa. You asked, you got your answers. I really don't care, but before all you "Let's stick together Guys" start singing KumbyYa, maybe you should ask the non- hunting public what they think about baiting. They are the voting majority on hunting issues and gun control.

Last edited by Gunplummer; 11-19-2013 at 03:36 AM. Reason: spelling