Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

"That's not hunting"

Old 12-22-2009, 11:22 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by bigcountry
Not at all. Any hunter knows the animals do not stay in one place. Some use natural blinds to bowhunt pronghorn for instance. I have no problems with a guys shooting far at the land described, I am just saying its BS to think it can't be done a different way.
Of course it can be done different. I hunt with a very small group of family and its all family farm land. In 12000 acres there are two trees, obviously treestands don't sell well here. We spot our deer from miles away and devise ways to get as close as we can. This requires the best optics one can afford. Lots of failed attempts but eventually we will get close enough for a shot. we spend all spring and late summer shooting prairie dogs, which if nothing else teachs one to dope the wind and shoot for distance. We know it will be required at some point. This years mule deer buck was shot at 318 yds. he dropped at the shot. Between he and I there was only cleaned and terraced brown dirt. We had duck walked 1/2 mile to get that close, only moving when his head was down. 5x5 mature buck mule deer.

The only point was that hunting is so different in different parts of the country that to make a statement that "its not hunting to shoot over 200 yds." is so totally off base as not to consider half the US.
Is it then hunting at 199 yds. ?

There are about 300 resident antelope on the farm property. We see them everyday, year round.

Last edited by skb2706; 12-22-2009 at 11:25 AM.
Old 12-22-2009, 11:27 AM
Dominant Buck

Hunting 2

Definition: The pursuit of game or of wild animals.

hunting 3

Definition: the pursuit and killing or capture of wild animals regarded as a sport

hunting 4

Definition: the work of finding and killing or capturing animals for food or pelts
Old 12-22-2009, 11:42 AM
Nontypical Buck

I went to maine on a black bear over bait hunt once, sat for 6 days looking at a bag of donuts, w/ anise dripping off it. saw nothing but snowshoe hares and whiskey jacks all week. Only about 4 guys shot bears w/ that outfitter that week, so just because you are sitting over bait doesnt mean the huntings a slam dunk(food was good though)

Ive also sat over corn feeders and food plots at a ranch in e. texas on week long hog and deer hunts, been there 4 Xs, came home empty handed twice!

I dont think hunting nessassarily has to be difficult to be rewarding, but on the other hand I do kinda of prefer to hunt game in the most natural settings possible.
Old 12-22-2009, 11:55 AM
Fork Horn

same thing just different prefrance
Old 12-22-2009, 11:56 AM
Fork Horn

that is like saying red man is not chewing but Copenhagen tobacco is lol
Old 12-22-2009, 01:48 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by JNTURK
There are hundreds of acorn trees in a forest, but only one man made "food plot."

They are not the same, and if you cannot see that you are so lost in the new age of hunting that there is no hope for you. I just pray you don't teach others the same.
Wow, pretty harsh words. I have a feeling the people who practice QDM, and are planting lots of food plots, are saying the same thing. I don't hunt them as they are not legal where I hunt (WMA), but I would certainly give it shot in an area where it's legal. To me it's just another tactic, of many, to use in hunting deer.
Old 12-22-2009, 01:55 PM
Fork Horn

Um guys, incase you have not noticed, there are no more forests left for deer! All the old growth hardwoods were cut down years ago. All the "good" spots are developed and paved or cleared. Only little patches were people don't live and you might find one or two giant oak left. And no one uses a wood stove so there are some dead snags and cover left that has'nt been burnt!
Old 12-22-2009, 02:03 PM
Nontypical Buck

no difference except he looks for "Natural"food sources
Old 12-22-2009, 02:34 PM
Nontypical Buck

lol putting up a feeder isnt gonna make your spot any better than it is already..however , scouting your land and putting a feeder in the spot the deer frequent only keeps them there longer...i have never had any success just putting food out hoping like hell that the deer go to it.maybe others have, but not me. i like stalking and such, but on 40 acres? gets old after awhile, a very short while..certainly if i had 500 acres i would not plot or use feeders..but til then its the way to go!!
Old 12-22-2009, 02:42 PM
Fork Horn

Look, I could care less how anyone else hunts. I..........feel that shooting a deer over hell, 100 isn't really hunting. Can the deer hear, see, smell you? Prob not. Where I live, you would be hard pressed to find a place in the woods to take a shot like that anyway. That being said, I.........feel like hunting is more about getting as close to the animal as you can before the harvest. This is how most bowhunters feel. Just because I feel this way doesn't even mean that I am right, it is just how I feel. Take it for what it's worth.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.