Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

"That's not hunting"

Old 12-22-2009, 10:06 AM
Fork Horn

What is the difference with hunting a well used trail? Or finding the bedding areas, food sources, and water?? I guess you don't use trail cams, deer scent, grunt tubes, camo, stands, cover scent, scoped gun, ......I could go on for days. I hunt where the deer are and that usually has something to do with me scouting them and knowing they are there, but I guess scouting would be out for you. /rant
Old 12-22-2009, 10:08 AM
Nontypical Buck

Hunting a food source is the same wether it is natural or not. I also can go locate 3-4 natural feeding areas (acorns) for the time it takes me to plant and maintain a food plot, but I choose to plant them. I say just quit stillhunting and join in on the Florida tradition of running dogs- that's definitely natural as you can get and you have plenty of acreage.
Old 12-22-2009, 10:09 AM
bigcountry

Originally Posted by SWThomas
With that being said, I hunt both.
Imagine that.

Old 12-22-2009, 10:14 AM
bigcountry

Originally Posted by Maryland_Whitetail
I guess you don't use trail cams, deer scent, grunt tubes, camo, stands, cover scent, scoped gun,
Lots of good points brought up. More and more todays "hunters" are losing the spirit of hunting. Its has slowly morphed into "just find some horns and try to impress people". One day, in several years folks like us might be here on a forum argueing that hunting is the same as buying a set of horns off the internet. As rediculus as that may sound, if our great grandfather could see us now with all that trash we feel we need to hunt, I bet he would be shocked.

Its the reason I am trying to get back some of that spirit, I once found by making my own bows and arrows, and heads.

Old 12-22-2009, 10:15 AM
Fork Horn

I don't think shooting a deer over 200 yards is hunting, but I'm not going to make a tread to make people think the way I do. For some reason your post pissed me off. Sorry
Old 12-22-2009, 10:17 AM
Nontypical Buck

MD Whitetail, who are you talking to and what specifically pissed you off? What do you consider hunting, just to give us a clearer picture?
Old 12-22-2009, 10:18 AM
bigcountry

but I'm not going to make a tread to make people think the way I do.
I wouldn't either. If people couldn't understand the distinction, no post would help them to understand sitting over a corn feeder is just wrong.

Old 12-22-2009, 10:24 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by 7.62NATO
MD Whitetail, who are you talking to and what specifically pissed you off? What do you consider hunting, just to give us a clearer picture?

Post was dirrected at the original poster. And I think bigcountry misunderstood me. I am for whatever you want to do. Baiting is legal here, and when I'm on private land, I throw corn out. I feel as long as you aren't breaking the law....or running dogs, anything goes. We are supposed to help the deer population by killing deer, soooo, I find deer, I kill deer, I eat yummy meat. You do what you do, I do what I do, as long as it's legal.
Old 12-22-2009, 10:25 AM
Nontypical Buck

I don't think shooting a deer over 200 yards is hunting, but I'm not going to make a tread to make people think the way I do. For some reason your post pissed me off. Sorry
You would effectively eliminate your chances of "ever" killing a deer on the open prairie. 200 yds. isn't even a good long poke and far short of the average.
At the heighth of our CR grass you might have 12 inches of cover for miles, no trees and little change in terrain. You might as well stay in the truck.
Old 12-22-2009, 10:29 AM
bigcountry

Originally Posted by skb2706
You would effectively eliminate your chances of "ever" killing a deer on the open prairie. 200 yds. isn't even a good long poke and far short of the average.
At the heighth of our CR grass you might have 12 inches of cover for miles, no trees and little change in terrain. You might as well stay in the truck.
Better not tell that to guys with bows who get the job done at 20 yards. Just got to be there before they are. Actually I have snuck up on pronghorn in 15" of grass 50 yards away in WY.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.