Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

"That's not hunting"

Old 12-22-2009, 10:30 AM
bigcountry

Originally Posted by Maryland_Whitetail
Baiting is legal here, and when I'm on private land, I throw corn out.
Imagine that.

Old 12-22-2009, 10:31 AM
Fork Horn

I don't know about you guys but I have hunted both. So now I know of a guy in Mich. who has a ten foot fence a mile long and a mile wide. Before you harvest the deer you look through your binoculars. Why? Because you have to see the tag on the antler to tell how much it is. Anywhere from 15 hundred to 15 grand! Although the 15 grand one does not come out to the open much. The 15 hundred one is a giant eight point with mass, tine length, and width. That includes processing!
Old 12-22-2009, 10:40 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by bigcountry
Better not tell that to guys with bows who get the job done at 20 yards. Just got to be there before they are. Actually I have snuck up on pronghorn in 15" of grass 50 yards away in WY.
I haven't seen a guy with a bow and arrow ever out on the farm. He'd look pretty silly crawling in the 2 inch high winter wheat trying to hide in the rows. Being 'there before they are' would involve being born there.

My sister farms 12,000 acres of dryland crops, we know what ground cover llooks like. By our late season Dec. deer hunt there is almost none. Far less than your 15" of WY CR grass.
Undersubscribed area for decades because the lack of hunters willing to even give it a go. You get as close as you can and learn to shoot. Simple enough.
Old 12-22-2009, 10:43 AM
Spike

This is so stupid. This forum is just like all the rest. I was expecting diffrent seeing as how were all hunters here so we have a main common intrest. This is why I keep to myself for the most part unless theres things I really need help with because im new to the topic (my dog thread). Everybody hatin on each other tellin others whats right and wrong. Im with those who say whatevers inside the legal limits in your particular area can be done. If that means sittin in your truck in a field I dont care who am I to judge?
Old 12-22-2009, 10:47 AM
Nontypical Buck

Post was dirrected at the original poster. And I think bigcountry misunderstood me. I am for whatever you want to do. Baiting is legal here, and when I'm on private land, I throw corn out. I feel as long as you aren't breaking the law....or running dogs, anything goes. We are supposed to help the deer population by killing deer, soooo, I find deer, I kill deer, I eat yummy meat. You do what you do, I do what I do, as long as it's legal.
Thanks for the clarification. But this seems a bit contradictory to me from what you just said:

I don't think shooting a deer over 200 yards is hunting...
Now are you saying that whatever you want to do is fine, though it might not be your bag? So for you, you'd hunt over food plots but not take a deer at 200 yards, correct? You're saying that hunting is self-defined, as long as it's legal.

Now, as for the law, well...let's just say that I don't look to the law as my moral compass.
Old 12-22-2009, 10:54 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by toyota4x4
This is so stupid. This forum is just like all the rest. I was expecting diffrent seeing as how were all hunters here so we have a main common intrest. This is why I keep to myself for the most part unless theres things I really need help with because im new to the topic (my dog thread). Everybody hatin on each other tellin others whats right and wrong. Im with those who say whatevers inside the legal limits in your particular area can be done. If that means sittin in your truck in a field I dont care who am I to judge?
I don't think there's any need for hating or getting sarcastic with one another, but I think people can discuss this in a civil manner, and most have. I have my idea of hunting and others have theirs. Now, if there was a big deer population problem and my goal was to just kill deer to help with the problem, I would adjust accordingly. But that's not the main reason I hunt.

I've put in a lot of long hours lately without any harvest, so when I DO bring home a deer (hopefully two or three!!), the satisfaction from doing so will be through the roof! Much more so than if I just said, "Awe, screw it!!", dumped some corn on the ground and waited for deer to show up in a field and picked a couple off. But that satisfaction is for ME, and me alone. If someone else is satisfied by hunting food plots, that is fine by me!
Old 12-22-2009, 10:55 AM
Typical Buck

I don't see the piont in not hunting food plots the deer aren't always going to go to the food plots. A lot of times they use natural food sources like acorns. So how is hunting a food plot a controlled hunt. Also a lot of big bucks don't enter food plots. And what if a kid wants to hunt. I would much rather put a kid in a ladder stand on a food plot to give them a little more action and more chance at shoot a doe or a small buck.
Old 12-22-2009, 10:55 AM
bigcountry

Originally Posted by skb2706
I haven't seen a guy with a bow and arrow ever out on the farm. He'd look pretty silly crawling in the 2 inch high winter wheat trying to hide in the rows. Being 'there before they are' would involve being born there.

My sister farms 12,000 acres of dryland crops, we know what ground cover llooks like. By our late season Dec. deer hunt there is almost none. Far less than your 15" of WY CR grass.
Undersubscribed area for decades because the lack of hunters willing to even give it a go. You get as close as you can and learn to shoot. Simple enough.
Not at all. Any hunter knows the animals do not stay in one place. Some use natural blinds to bowhunt pronghorn for instance. I have no problems with a guys shooting far at the land described, I am just saying its BS to think it can't be done a different way.

Old 12-22-2009, 10:56 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Big Buck Dave
I don't know about you guys but I have hunted both. So now I know of a guy in Mich. who has a ten foot fence a mile long and a mile wide. Before you harvest the deer you look through your binoculars. Why? Because you have to see the tag on the antler to tell how much it is. Anywhere from 15 hundred to 15 grand! Although the 15 grand one does not come out to the open much. The 15 hundred one is a giant eight point with mass, tine length, and width. That includes processing!
Wow! Well, that one zero you didn't see could be a big $wh00ps!!
Old 12-22-2009, 11:12 AM
Nontypical Buck

There are hundreds of acorn trees in a forest, but only one man made "food plot."

They are not the same, and if you cannot see that you are so lost in the new age of hunting that there is no hope for you. I just pray you don't teach others the same.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.