HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Whitetail Deer Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting-4/)
-   -   Are deer getting Acclimated to People? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting/313035-deer-getting-acclimated-people.html)

aharley1 12-21-2009 04:38 AM

Are deer getting Acclimated to People?

16:20 Feeder goes off
16:35 Doe comes out, then ducks back into the woods
16:45 Another doe at 150 yds, moseying towards me
16:50-55 Doe turns and moseys towards the woods
About 17:00 She turns broadside & I drop her at 120 Yds
She dropped in high palmettos, so it took me a few minutes to locate her. I go about 1/4 mile to get the 4 wheeler to drag her out.
17:53 3 more deer at the feeder!!

It couldn't have been more than a half hour or 45 minutes from the time I left until the deer were back!!

bowfly 12-21-2009 04:39 AM

i don't think accilmated to people, but something else you mentioned in the post...the feeder :D

SWThomas 12-21-2009 05:40 AM

They're definitely not "use" to people where I hunt. But I don't hunt deer over a feeder.... Not that there's anything wrong with that....

Edcyclopedia 12-21-2009 08:42 AM

I had a friend tell me deer would show up at his feeder within 10 minutes of it going off. Occasionally the deer would come a few minutes early when they were hungry and stomp on the legs of the feeder thinking they were starting it... Sounds like shooting verses hunting, but who am I to judge???:)

MichaelH 12-21-2009 04:08 PM

Originally Posted by Edcyclopedia (Post 3535426)
I had a friend tell me deer would show up at his feeder within 10 minutes of it going off. Occasionally the deer would come a few minutes early when they were hungry and stomp on the legs of the feeder thinking they were starting it... Sounds like shooting verses hunting, but who am I to judge???:)

I know what you mean. I just got back from "shooting". I've never hunted over bait, but the farmer of the property I often hunt has wanted more population control and I've been hunting for a nice buck after shooting two does already this year. Just before
16" of snow fell, I dumped a bag of corn near a blind. Even though I know I was doing population control, it still didn't feel right dropping a doe walking to the pile. I don't have an issue with it for others, especially if your time is limited. It's just not for me.

To answer the original question, I think by placing the feeder there, you have in a sense, slightly domesticated them. I'm sure they wouldn't think twice about taking off if they winded you. I have a buddy who throws scraps out for foxes behind his house. At first, they wouldn't come with the lights on. Now they'll not only come when the lights are on, they'll even let you watch from the deck. Those same foxes won't let you get near them if you're in the woods.