Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
Leaving a deer in the woods to retrieve later... >

Leaving a deer in the woods to retrieve later...

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Leaving a deer in the woods to retrieve later...

Old 12-20-2009, 07:32 PM
Typical Buck

I would think the reasoning behind not field dressing it right away would be to decrease the scent around the area of the deer, but i wouldn't recomend this practice. The block and tackle are a good idea, if you can get the deer dressed and the temps are low enough, I would think u should be fine if you can open up the chest cavity so it cools more quickly and get it hung high enough to keep away from the predators, probably 7-8 ft, you should be fine. look at it this way, say you make a less than desirable shot, would you leave the deer overnight or push it and try to recover right away? Obviously you would let it sit, and this is no different, so dont let people make you feel bad for doing what you have to do, as long as you make a serious effort to dress the deer and recover it as soon as possible. maybe you could even bring some ice in a cooler and hike back to the truck, and put the ice in the chest cavity, but if it's cool enough that wouldnt even be necesary.
Old 12-20-2009, 07:33 PM
Nontypical Buck

Lightbulb

I'm not sure of the advice to wait to field dress until the morning. There may be something with that opinion I'm not aware of. I've always felt it's best to gut the deer as soon as possible. It gets the body to cool down faster.

You already have my opinion to gut the deer as soon as possible. Now if you do kill a deer in the scenario you described, I'd also drag it to a location where the ravens, vultures & eagles can't see it easily. I'll tell you what will amaze you... they all can see that white of the deer very easily from the air. So with that said, I recommend covering the carcass to hide it from their eyes. Having it under trees along with some covering will help. I'd also get a stick and use it to prop open the cavity to cool it off faster.

As for gutting, if you do, it will be more of a risk because it will make it easier for the coyotes to find it. I suggest dragging the deer away from the gut pile. The coyotes may concentrate more on the guts than the hidden deer, but not likely. Their nose is very good.

Here's something to consider. You, I... we've read several stories already this year where deer were recovered the next day. I don't recall any of them saying their deer was spoiled. I've only left a few deer in the woods overnight and that was because I didn't find them yet.. and waited for morning for tracking light. The obvious is that when it's colder, it's better for the meat.

iSnipe
Old 12-20-2009, 07:35 PM
Spike

the sooner its gutted the faster it will cool out takes awhile for the guts to cool therefore keeping the meat warm and makes it spoil faster then if its gut shot you got all that nasty crap in the to ruin the meat

Last edited by slimdaddy45; 12-20-2009 at 07:39 PM.
Old 12-20-2009, 07:36 PM
bigcountry

At least have time to field dress it. Leaving the guts in, is the worst thing you can do. Warmer it is, the worse it is. Its a bactera factory. Thats the guts job.

Old 12-20-2009, 07:55 PM
Nontypical Buck

How about the simplest solution. If you see a shooter deer, but haven't the time to properly dress and care for the animal as you should.

Why not pass on the shot and not have to worry about the work you are putting off for another engagement? The deer may live through the day to give you another chance at it later.
Old 12-20-2009, 08:29 PM
Nontypical Buck

This is really simple, if you don't have time to care for the carcass, then you shouldn't shoot the animal. Follow this simple advise and you'll never have to worry about spoiled meat or carrion feeders.

Mike
Old 12-20-2009, 11:18 PM
Fork Horn

Default Leaveing a kill

I always thought anyone leaving an animal in the field over night should either be required to eat it or pay a fine for wasting the meat. Called wanton waste here and frowned on by every good sportsman as well as Fish & Game.
Old 12-21-2009, 01:09 AM
Nontypical Buck

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by aaalaska
I always thought anyone leaving an animal in the field over night should either be required to eat it or pay a fine for wasting the meat. Called wanton waste here and frowned on by every good sportsman as well as Fish & Game.
I bet if I called your Fish & Game there, they would DISPUTE that statement! I'd take and win that bet. Especially the way that statement is generalized.

Can't imagine all the deer that are left over night in the woods because they either can't find him immediately and are waiting 'til the morning for better tracking light OR...

...all the deer that are left over night simply because the shooter was uncomfortable with the hit and wanted to give time for the animal to expire. 'Round here in the lower states, we hunters have a saying... "When in doubt, back out".

Now if a hunter shoots a deer, locates it and leaves it over night, they should be required to tag it first. Then if the carcass encounters predation, spoilage, etc, the hunter is out the meat and the tag.

iSnipe
Old 12-21-2009, 02:07 AM
Dominant Buck

I too agree that at least field dressing is a bare minimum to prevent spoilage. If I need to leave an animal in the woods I take off a shirt or my undershirt and drape it over the animal to keep coyotes away. It seems to help. In the case of birds like eagles, crows and ravens, covering all traces of blood is a must. When we hunted newfoundland we would shoot our caribou miles into the bush and then the outfitter would come in either later in the day or the next day to get it. The eagles would make short work of the animal so we always had to cut spruce boughs and cover it.
Old 12-21-2009, 03:21 AM
Boone & Crockett

While I know some that had left them over night it is a small percentage of hunters that would do that. Here we can call a warden and explain what had happened and then go recover it during the night time hours. We would have to leave the weapon of choice home and can only carry a knife and a 2 cell flashlight. So I really see no reason to just leave it there at all.. I have left a deer for a few hours because of things I had to do. Like others have stated leave some clothing around it to discourage coyotes and other predators from getting at it.. But if it can be avoided why leave it?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.