Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
One reason why I hate hunting private land >

One reason why I hate hunting private land

Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

One reason why I hate hunting private land

Old 12-19-2009, 10:18 AM
Typical Buck

Default One reason why I hate hunting private land

So this morning I was sitting up in my buddy ladder stand , and a little spike ran up on us while lookin for a doe. I know there are some idiots huntin this land too. And I know they will kill him if he messes up. Because I want to manage this land to produce some good deer I passed him up.And my uncles climber got stolen on the same property.I was wanting to know how to manage private land when there is a bunch of idiots hunting it as well.
Old 12-19-2009, 10:25 AM
Fork Horn

the only thing you can do is meet them and talk with them. try and get them on the same page you are on. if that doesnt work i dont think there is much else to do.
Old 12-19-2009, 10:25 AM
Giant Nontypical

its hard enough when you have idiots hunting around your land.

You have to get them on board....if they're just looking for meat, you may consider taking a doe and giving them her so they don't shoot the 1st buck that comes along, ie a dink.

its tough, youreally need a bunch of guys and land with the same idea/goal to manage IMO.
Old 12-19-2009, 10:28 AM
Nontypical Buck

Not a lot you can do because while you may be doing everything you can on that land, many surrounding properties may not be doing the same. The very bucks you let pass may be on someone's dinner table not long down the road. LOL! You would need a very very very large chunk of land, in my opinion, to have any relative success trying to manage deer. There's too many variables you don't have control of outside the property lines.

I guess if it were me, I'd want to know the adjacent property owners and see if they are doing any type of management and what it is they are doing... and if they feel they are having any type of luck. Everyone would have to be on the same page doing similar management techniques because if not, one deer that gets passed up...

... well you know... is backstraps in someone else's freezer. LOL!

Good luck,

iSnipe
Old 12-19-2009, 10:33 AM
Banned

i agree with Snipe!

gotta get your people on before you go to them though.

talk to the land owner 1st...see what he thinks about restrictions on his land? he will either be on board or he wont...if he isnt, then i would get all the guys on this property together...have a bbq, and bring it up...im sure someone will know somethin is up when ya tell them its free food and beer.( wink ) good luck.
Old 12-19-2009, 10:34 AM
Dominant Buck

I agree with sniper
Old 12-19-2009, 10:40 AM
Typical Buck

I think I am going to lease it to get those idiots can't hunt.
Old 12-19-2009, 10:48 AM
Fork Horn

Well, maybe they need to look around the area and see what a real deer looks like. Show'em! THIS is what they grow up to be. It will take their breath away...Especially if it is a place that will be around for a awile and not close to any major highway intersections. That's where I'm hunting, this year, we call it the gaunlet! Near an intersection of two highways, if I wanted meat I would just pick one up off the road on my way to, from hunting.........But, anytime you harvest a deer legally and check it in to the state you are helping the hunting community! We are all on the same team.......(O' when I said "near" I mean within five miles.)

Last edited by Big Buck Dave; 12-19-2009 at 10:56 AM.
Old 12-19-2009, 10:51 AM
Nontypical Buck

"One reason why I hate hunting private land"

Sure, thats a reason to hate PRIVATE land because I'm sure if you were hunting PUBLIC land then you wouldn't have to worry about someone shooting a deer you passed up or stealing your treestand.... are you kidding me ?!? Kind of a stupid title to a thread isn't it ??? LOL!

All kidding aside, doesn't sound much like "private" ground to me if every Tom, Dick and Harry gets to hunt it !!!
Old 12-19-2009, 01:18 PM
Spike

So here's a question for you fishinty, "Why are the people that shoot whatever they want Idiots?" Just because they choose to shoot a small buck or a fawn doesn't make them an idiot. It's their choice to shoot what they want. If you want land to manage for bigger bucks, well maybe you should buy some or go in with some buddies and lease some land. Not every hunter shares your same ideals or has to, and if you think otherwise well maybe your calling the wrong person and idiot.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.