Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
243 Win Left Eyed Dominant, right handed >

243 Win Left Eyed Dominant, right handed

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

243 Win Left Eyed Dominant, right handed

Old 12-18-2009, 04:38 PM
Fork Horn

Default 243 Win Left Eyed Dominant, right handed

Hey all hope everyone is having a safe and productive hunting season! I just got a big bodied 8 pointer this evening with a slug gun, small rack but lots of meat!

Reason for the thread is this… I am in the market for a 243 win, I have also considered a 260 rem but savage doesn’t make a 260… sako does but very $$$ I looked at the tikka t3 and its an okay gun but I am concerned that it only has a 1-10 twist and only 20’’ barrel…. Would the muzzle blast be to much as well as noise?

The Tikka had a pretty smooth bolt but I really actually thought the savage had a better one if you can believe it… (2009 weather warrior w/ accu trigger and stock)

This gun would be used for varmint as well as deer in Iowa, yes I read all about how some think the 243 is to small for deer and how some think its even to much… well my quick thought is this… I think as long as I use the right grain bullets (85 Barnes X or 100 grain Noislers) and practice good shot placement I will be fine… heck even bad shot placement with a slug (70 mm) on any deer will run off with no or sparse blood trail…

Reason I think the 243 is for me is due to me being very right handed and very left eyed dominant… I don’t want a bunch of recoil to shoot off my left shoulder until I have a few years of good practice. Yes the 260 would be a better deer rifle but cost of the gun and not all manufactures produce this chamber yet… wish they did because I think the 260 is super to the 243 and even the 7mm.

As of now I think the savage 243 is the way I’m leaning due to the reasons mentioned… but is there anything else I should consider?

The last 2 years I have successfully taught myself to shoot a bow left handed… it was not as hard as I thought it would be. If I can do that I should be able to shoot small caliber rifles with no problem….. Left handed eventually.

My right eye is a “Lazy Eye” so when I say my left eye is dominant…. It’s WAY dominant… I would say like 80% left and 20% vision right. I have to literally close my left to see out of my right… if you can believe it… so that’s how I shoot.

Heavy recoil guns I have to shoot right due to recoil at least at this point can’t see much but somehow I can still down a pheasant and a deer running full speed.

I have tried to do as much research as I can on my own and just wanted to ask for some others opinions and or suggestions? This is going to take a lot of dedication.

Thanks again!
Old 12-18-2009, 04:59 PM
Nontypical Buck

Nothing wrong with the .243 for a deer gun. With the right 90gr. bullet, it can maintain 1,000ft. lbs. of energy at 400 yards... still at the set suggested minimum for whitetails. I don't really buy that, as I've killed with far less energy, but it's a mark to go by.

The .260 is my favorite deer rifle. It has the power and trajectory along with good ballistic coefficient with hardly any recoil.

I'm a Remington 700 fan. Their accuracy are noted well and many target guns are built from their actions. However, I've been noticing a lot of people are happy with their Savage guns being accurate right out of the box. I think you'd be happy with a Savage .243. It should give you all the accuracy you'll ever need chasin' whitetails!

Also, if you can devise some kind of patch or blocker for your left eye when you shoot, it is much better than closing or squinting. You lose visual acuity when you do that and it gets worse over time.

Good luck,

iSnipe
Old 12-18-2009, 05:07 PM
Fork Horn

Visual acuity… you know im in the medical filed (somewhat) and never heard that term before… have to look it up.

Thanks for the post. I will look into the Rem 260’s as I have not yet. But I have looked at some low end Remington 243 and wow… where is the quality in that gun. The bolt was the worst I had ever seen or felt, very rough and it had a snag when ejecting…

Now this was a very low end Rem. I have a 11-87 premier and have had since 1992… not very many problems with it to date, I will shoot that gun until it won’t shot anymore!

What rem model would you suggest?
Old 12-18-2009, 05:20 PM
Fork Horn

Default 8 Point

This is a couple pics of the deer I shot this evening… he ran right past me (10 yards) waited till he got past the other person on post and let him have it…

Shot 4 times hit him 3, as you can see nearly took his leg off, one just behind the front shoulder, and the other was a bad gut shot… Almost knocked him down, but he limped up the hill about 50 yards and that was all she wrote, didn’t need it but the blood trail was very nice.

Used brenneky short filed mag 1.25 oz slug, they are seem to ber very destructive at least at close range.
Attached Thumbnails 243 Win Left Eyed Dominant, right handed-deer-re-size.jpg   243 Win Left Eyed Dominant, right handed-deer-resize-2.jpg  
Old 12-18-2009, 06:02 PM
Nontypical Buck

what about a winchester model 94 30-30. The special scope mounts that are needed for that gun actually place the scope to the left of the centerline.
Old 12-18-2009, 09:55 PM
Fork Horn

Default shoot with your domonate eye

it dont work any other way
Old 12-18-2009, 10:01 PM
Nontypical Buck

I'm a more of a Ruger man. I love my ruger M77 .243. I would recommend it to anyone!
Old 12-19-2009, 01:21 AM
Nontypical Buck

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by L. Clement

What rem model would you suggest?
Lately I've been getting only the 700 in ADL's and BDL's for hunting. They have a lower end model that is still not bad. It's their SPS model.(synthetic stock) It replaced the ADL. The ADL doesn't have a magazine or bottom exit latch. The BDL has the exit latch on the bottom. Some BDL's have the removable magazine, aka, DM or detachable magazine.

The plain Rem 700 SPS model is below:

As for visual acuity, has to do with diminishing light. When on the target line for rifle competitions, some, many actually, wear a flip vise on their hat brim that folds down to cover their left eye.(right-handed shooters) This enables them to keep both eyes open. I don't use one because I'm severe right-eye dominant and have no problem just shooting with both eyes open, which one should be doing anyway. Some just place a piece of tape over their prescription or shooting glasses. I recommend scotch or some sort of transparent tape. You still want light entering that eye. Also reduces eye strain. We're talking shooting over period of time here too. Most of this isn't so crucial for the guy going to sight in his rifle and plink a few. LOL!

iSnipe
Old 12-19-2009, 05:19 AM
Nontypical Buck

I keep reading how everyone love's their Savage's. My buddy and I were out at Bass Pro Shops looking at .223's. He talked me into buying a Savage Model 11 .223. It shot very accurate. However, when I took it apart to set the Accu trigger the finish of the mechanical parts was frightening. I want to like Savage because the are made here but I just can't accept that kind of finish on a rifle. I just got rid of the .223 and will not buy another Savage. I'll stick to Remington 700's and just pay for the trigger job and floating the barrel or I'll just buy another Browning A-bolt. No more Savages for me.

Last edited by Colorado Luckydog; 12-19-2009 at 05:30 AM.
Old 12-19-2009, 06:48 AM
Fork Horn

How about wear an eye patch? Side benefit, chicks dig eye patchs.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.