Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
243 Win Left Eyed Dominant, right handed >

243 Win Left Eyed Dominant, right handed

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

243 Win Left Eyed Dominant, right handed

Old 12-19-2009, 06:59 AM
Fork Horn

Im not really a fan of the 30-30 for a varmint/deer rifle… year great brush or truck gun. I do have an old lever action that I haven’t shot in years… never had much luck with it but I keep it around in a jam. My dad has a 30-06 so if I need fire power that’s what I would grab but shooting left standing would be tough… on the ground prone wouldn’t be so much.

I still think shooting with my dominant eye is the way to go… as Nalgi put it… there were a few bow guys that tried to get me to stay right handed for some reason but I SO SO glad I went left… with a bow I didn’t really see any other option, I don’t think they really understood what my “issue” really was about… that’s okay though we made it!

I will check into the Ruger line… if I recall they also make a 260 Rem as well. How is the fit and finish of the gun? Barrel Twist, trigger, etc…?

I will also take a look at the Rem SPS, don’t think that was the gun I was looking at...

As far as visual acuity is concerned… if I shoot left I will be able to keep both eye open without any problem and without the use of a patch or tape. With my left eye open its like my right eye isn’t even there!!! I had a cousin that had a Lazy eye when he was born and it wasn’t noticed before school age… and he ended up going blind in that eye, its like you brain doesn’t even know its there to utilize.

As Far as savages go… I really liked the smooth bolt… and the pull of the accu-tigger even though it looks very strange. Yeah since it’s a budget gun I can only imagine the short cuts they take to keep costs down… but they are from what I hear “shooters” I would love to have a browning A-Bolt 243! If I can find a god used one maybe

Thanks for all the posts guys
Old 12-19-2009, 08:21 AM
Dominant Buck

I have a Ruger Stainless Laminated Stock in .243, a Ruger in 7mm-08 and a Ruger in 6.5mmSwede shooting Norma ammo.........Have killed Deer and Hogs with all..........killed moose with the 6.5mmSwede......
Old 12-19-2009, 01:20 PM
Nontypical Buck

I'm left eye dominant and right handed and it has never been an issue shooting a scoped rifle. I always close my left eye.

I also shoot my shotgun right handed and I close my left eye when shooting birds as well.

Of course my eyes are pretty close, I can see well out of either one, but the left eye is dominant when doing the old hold the finger at a distant object and open and close each eye test.

I became a much better shot bird hunting once I started closing my left eye.
Old 12-19-2009, 02:05 PM
Typical Buck

I am the same way, right handed and very left eye dominant. I still shoot right handed, but instead of having my right eye open exclusively, i shoot with both eyes open. Makes things a world clearer. Hope this helps.
BB95
Old 12-19-2009, 06:24 PM
Fork Horn

Thanks again for all the posts... went and looked at all the models we discussed and actually the one that felt the best was the browning x bolt hunter... they had one in a 243 and I picked it up for 750.00 so not much higher then I planed to spend...

nice light gun and VERY well balanced... that's what sold me... I played with the trigger when I got it home as bass pro wouldn't take it of... would have bought it from scheels but they didn't have that caliber.

Trigger is VERY crisp, slightly crisper then the accu-trigger although I did like the AC as well. Since I liked the a bolt in my 22-250 I decided to stay with browning.

I like where the safety is (on top in the middle) and the 60 degree bolt angle... I can shoot this gun right or left as both sides of the butt stock are equal.

22 inch barrel with a 1-10 twist, hope it shoots 100g well!
Old 12-20-2009, 01:45 AM
Nontypical Buck

I believe it was an A-bolt, but had a Browning in .22lr before. Pretty fancy for a .22. LOL! Browning are beautiful guns. Hope you do well with it. Come time, be sure to keep us posted on your 1st success with it. Maybe go call some coyotes with it and introduce them to the ground? LOL!

Good luck,

iSnipe
Old 12-20-2009, 09:18 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by iSnipe
I believe it was an A-bolt, but had a Browning in .22lr before. Pretty fancy for a .22. LOL! Browning are beautiful guns. Hope you do well with it. Come time, be sure to keep us posted on your 1st success with it. Maybe go call some coyotes with it and introduce them to the ground? LOL!

Good luck,

iSnipe
Will do! I plan to practice a few rounds to get it sighted in. then take it coyote hunting as well as antlerless deer season.

The barrel looks pretty light so it’s definitely not gona be a bench shooter and will have to let the barrel cool after each set. But she sure does feel solid.

Safe Hunting
Old 12-20-2009, 11:39 AM
Nontypical Buck

I am right handed but left dominate and have always shot left handed. it just seems more comfortable to me. I have had to switch and shoot right handed in the field because the deer came in way to my left . works out fine , i feel i am more versatile that way . try shooting left so you can use your dominate eye
Old 02-01-2010, 08:00 AM
Fork Horn

Well we went out a couple days ago and shot deer at about 220 yds with my new browning x bolt. Deer dropped in its tracks, not one step… I was using Rem Core Lokt PSP 100G and hit it in the neck.

I was aiming just behind its shoulder but the deer was facing north and I had a slight south breeze. The gun could still be shooting to the right a bit since I was only able to site it in at 50 yds due to this very fogy weather we had been having.

Oh and I did shoot left handed! First deer kill with a high power, left handed, and in excess of 200 yds! So a lot of first had fallen when I shot this deer.

In Iowa we can only use rifles for deer during the antlerless season and only in the very southern part of the state. Reason is it is a lot more hilly in that region of the state.

Pic attached.

Attached Thumbnails 243 Win Left Eyed Dominant, right handed-img00465.jpg