Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
Deer behavior in snow where snow is RARE?? >

Deer behavior in snow where snow is RARE??

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Deer behavior in snow where snow is RARE??

Old 12-18-2009, 06:37 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Deer behavior in snow where snow is RARE??

We are supposed to be getting a decent amount of snow tonight/tomorrow, and we rarely get snow in my area of Virginia. I have had 4 crappy all-day outings in a row (the latest was yesterday), and I'm tempted to go out in the snow for a half-day hunt tomorrow. I'm wondering how the deer will react to the snow. Will they just bed down and wait for it to pass/melt, or will they want to be moving more than normal?
Old 12-18-2009, 06:52 AM
Fork Horn

What's this snow stuff you speak about?

No idea, honestly. We never get snow here...like once in 20 years, so I think the deer would go bananas if they saw it.
Old 12-18-2009, 07:37 AM
Fork Horn

Now you can hunt where it is dark. That's where the deer are and you will be able to stalk and look to close the distance. Good luck!
Old 12-18-2009, 07:50 AM
Giant Nontypical

Nato...I live down near Greensboro and hunt locally and on our farms on the coast...It's been my experience that the deer will get into the thick stuff for a couple of days and then move after 2-3 days...

About 3-4 years ago we had a 10 inch snow down east, I went and got in one of our tower stands over a cut corn field and the field loaded up with deer...

They'll move on Sunday or Monday...
Old 12-18-2009, 10:22 PM
Spike

Default Already Moving

Well I work in Shelby, NC and just got home an hour ago at 1:00 AM, and as I passed through Cherryville with a few inches on the ground from this afternoon and evening I saw 4 does out. They acted like your dog does when you let him out in the snow, jumping and playing.
Old 12-19-2009, 01:26 AM
Nontypical Buck

Years ago the moon phase was all the rage for hunting. Then a "wheel" came out that had the moon phases on them, along with the most optimal times to hunt. It was my bible, so to speak.

One day I got away from it and started hunting whenever I wanted. You know what, I still killed the deer, instead of "skipping" some times because the "wheel" told me it wasn't a good time being out.

Hint, hint.

iSnipe
Old 12-19-2009, 07:06 AM
Typical Buck

if the wind blows and its snowing deer will bed down ..but as soon as everything is back to normal the deer start to move and for me it's the best time for deer hunting .tracking ,stalking ,sighting and most of all dragging the big buck to my truck .

Last edited by heinz57; 12-19-2009 at 07:40 AM.
Old 12-19-2009, 08:28 AM
Nontypical Buck

i bet they will be moving
Old 12-19-2009, 09:05 AM
Banned

if it snowed, i hope you went out, and if ya did, lets see the pics already!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 12-20-2009, 06:10 AM
Nontypical Buck

Thanks everyone. I did go out but didn't see anything. Had fun tracking though. Will relate my story soon...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.